KateP Posted July 1, 2008 Share Posted July 1, 2008 I use shredded paper in the nesting box which has been fine so far but one of my girls has now decided that she wants to eat it Will this do her any harm? I have taken it out just in case but I don't know what else to use as I know straw and hay aren't suitable. Has anyone else had this problem? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
cluckbok Posted July 1, 2008 Share Posted July 1, 2008 Hi ya, I would have thought that this is no good for her. Could block her crop. How about using Hemcore or Aubiose? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Willow Posted July 2, 2008 Share Posted July 2, 2008 Mine eat the paper too - I've given up putting anything in Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Gamebird Posted July 2, 2008 Share Posted July 2, 2008 I use Aubiose which is 100% natural material (hemp) so if the chickens eat it, it won't do them any harm. It's absorbant and smells nice too. A bag lasts for months. It's actually horse bedding and I buy mine from my local equestrian feed store but you can get it on-line as well. It costs about £7 per 20kg bag. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
choppish Posted July 2, 2008 Share Posted July 2, 2008 saw mine swalloe some polysterene that was lying about!!! not a lot i can do about it though. i did hunt around for any more that was lying about., i suppose it will just stay in the crop.... hmmm Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
beach chick Posted July 2, 2008 Share Posted July 2, 2008 I use woodshavings in the nest box and poo tray. seems to work fine, I did use straw for a while but it went EVERYWHERE. I thought straw was ok, but not hay (which can hold mould spores)? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Keanie Bean Posted July 2, 2008 Share Posted July 2, 2008 I was advised not to use straw because of the risk of red mites being brought in from an outside source. I had been using shredded paper but my girls hated it and started laying in the run as well as eating the paper. Now I'm using Aubiose and they love it. Sarah.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...