hils78

stroke or broken leg?

I have a slight problem. My silkie Slayer isn't well. She really can't walk too well - its like she's drunk & her legs aren't doing what they should be. I've been away over night & as they are in a 5ft x 2ft hutch she' hasn't been out to get attacked or anything.

I am a vet nurse & have been in touch with my boss (who has said - well what do you think?). I've checked for a broken leg but can't find anything. Can such a young chicken have a stroke? - Help any ideas. I can get her any drugs she might need tonight just all out of ideas.

One of my chooks, Custard, has recently been off her legs too - started out looking drunk and then wouldnt stand at all. :(

I took her to the vet who thought it could be Coccidia - a single cell organism that lives in the gut as this can cause them to be off their legs - she took stool samples - maybe you could do this with your chook? :?

As it was Custard didnt have coccidia but was put on a course of Baytril and i was told to hope for the best. After a few days i saw no improvement so added two drops of Metacam to her Baytril for 4 days and she has improved no end.

I dont think we will ever be sure what was wrong with her but as long as she keeps up her current improvement im happy.

You could try these drugs if you think they will help. Dont over do it with the Metacam as its quite powerful and you will need to withdraw eggs too.

Is Slayer eating and drinking well? :?

Slayer is drinking & eating when the food is brought to her (she's not laying yet so no egg withdrawel needed!).

i've just spoken to the person where Slayer came from & she thinks its something called 'Seahorse Condition' which is basically a trauma to the head which causes fluid on the brain. Silkies heads are dome shaped (same as Poland fowl) with little skull to protect the brain.

Apparantly the tauma can have taken place weeks or months previously and onset can be any time.

http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/HoleInHead.html

I've been advised to give her 24 hours & if things don't pick up its PTS.

But I am very tempted to try baytril & Metacam....thanks for the advice.

Well after a dose of baytril & the BIGGEST helping of grit Slayer appears to be less wobbly. I've got limestone flour coming on weds so I think between us we've cracked it :D. I am going to have to tell my boss all this (bloomin vets) and get him clued up on chooks!

We're by no means out of the woods yet but def on the mend.

Thank you everyone for your great help.

XXX

Slayer really not too good today. I've given her all I can time & treatment I possibly could have done including being kept warm infront of the tv (other than the limestone flour which arrives tomorrow). I think I'll give her till this evening & if she has continued to downhill I think I'll have to have her PTS. Its horrible to see - even when I put my 'work head' on.