debbie

Blood coming from vent

Blood is coming from Millie's vent. Its not pouring out, but a little drip, drip. I've washed her botty this morning so I could have a good look at her vent.

She has always been prone to laying soft shells, she gets extra calcium etc. Sometimes she will lay ok for about a week and then lays a softy for a couple of days.

She has eaten her breakfast ok this morning, I've had to go to work this morning but will pop back at lunch time. I've left her with her two sisters in the run but I am aware that if the girls see blood they will peck her. I didn't have time to set up seperate housing this morning but can do it later if need be.

Has anyone got any advice for me please...........I'm trying hard not to panic.......because panic is what I'm good at !!!!!!!

Maybe she laid a softie, but the egg shell punctured something inside her? The shell can be quite sharp.

She how she is when you get home. I would separate her from the others until the bleeding stops. If she s still bleeding, then a trip to the vet might be a good idea, just to be safe.

All the best

Thanks Christian

Well I managed to have some liue time that was owing me. So I'm at home now for the afternoon, managed to get vets appointment for 5pm.

She is sitting on the nest box straining away, there seems to be another attempt at a soft shell, bless her, I've had a quick look at botty and still red and bloody. Her frilly knickers are all stuck togther dispite my attempt of cleaning her up this morning.

The others arn't taking any notice at the moment, but I'm keeping a close eye on them. Three hours is a long time when your in a state of panic.

I hope the vet don't think I'm a bad chicken mama because her bum does look in quite a mess at the moment, it was lovely and clean and fluffy yesterday.

I posted something on Tuesday as I noticed blood on rooosting bars and the surface of a couple of poos. Also some blood around the vent.Frank, bright red and quite alot. Chick seemed fine in herself.

She has been fine today and no more bleeding so I wondered whether she had ruptured a little blood vessel?

Hope your chicken recovers