Sandychick

Help please - Amber not well / not eating

Really hope someone can help with this. Amber has been looking a bit odd today and this since afternoon she hasn't moved from standing under a tree making loads of distressing squarking noises. The others have just had a few mealworms which they all usually go mad for, but Amber didn't move.

She is standing on both legs, tail down and shaking her head and sounds really upset.

I'm really worried and am new to chicken keeping so really need some advice here.

Sandy

Hello Sandychick,

Sorry to hear about Amber.

Bring her indoors and keep her warm. Encourage her to drink and try and get her to eat something. The warmth will do her good.

Is she laying yet? Maybe a soft shelled egg on the way. My Light Sussex Winifred laid one for the first time today. Same symptoms. She was fine 10 minutes after laying it.

Hope she is better soon.

Thank you. That's a good idea, they are all in the eglu at the moment but I will bring her inside tonight.

She's not laying yet so I really hope it is a soft shelled egg on the way. I'm a bit worried now though because although its dark now I can still hear her squarking in the eglu - is this a worrying sign?

Really stressing here due to lack of chicken knowledge! Just want to be sure I'm doing everything I can for her.

Sandy

Hi Sandy. Any news?

As she is new to laying it could possibly be a softie. Seems the most likely cause of her behaviour/symptoms. Keeping her warm will help, maybe a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel to relax her and let the egg pass?

let us know how you get on.

Positive vibes :D

Hi, just managed to escape from work for 10mins to check on Amber. She was looking much better this morning, tail up, and has stopped squarking. I put her back outside with the others today as I thought this would be better than keeping her seperated for too long if she's looking better.

Just checked her now and I'm still not sure that she is eating or drinking much at all. She's developed a new symptom today, making a sort of rattling noise when she breaths......anyone know what this is??

I checked her over last night and I really can't see anything wrong with her.

Sounds like she may have a chest infection or simular, best to pop her to the vets and get her checked over. If she does have an infection then she will need anti-biotics.

Hope she gets better soon.

Let us know how she gets on.

Thank you everyone, I don't know what I would do without this forum in a crisis! Amber is looking so much better this evening, eating, drinking and back wandering about with the others.

Still rattley though so I will seek out a chicken friendly vet and get her checked out.

Sandy