Crooked Chicken

Help please. Molly not herself and soft eggs

Hi

I've had Molly for 3 years now. She's never laid a soft egg before, but in the last 3 days I've had 3 soft or no-shell eggs. She is definitely not herself. She's always been my 'top' girl. Running up and down the large enclosed run whenever she saw me at the kitchen window, or if I went into the garden, making lots of noise to get my attention. But now, nothing. There's no 'life' in her. Her comb is still red and tail up, but she is definitely not herself.

The only thing I can think of that's changed in her diet lately is when she's been free ranging, she's been eating the leaves of my pumpkins that are growing - I'm just hoping they're not poisonous or something?

Could anyone help me with what I should do? (I have read that chickens usually look and behave quite normally after laying a soft/no shell egg, but Molly certainly isn't behaving her normal self)

Thanks

Sue

Thanks for your help. I've phoned up Countrywide Stores and they have it in stock, so will go there now to give it a try.

Should I mix it with oil and pellets so it sticks, otherwise isn't it likely to sink to the bottom of the grub? and does it matter if my other chicken eats it as well?

BTW, just looked in the eglu and she's laid another softie and also laid a dried up collapsed shell. Not sure why she's like this? Anyway must get off to the shop before it closes.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'd be pleased to hear.

Thanks

Sue

One of my ex-batts is prone to eggs with thin or no shell. I think it's something the older lady encounters as well as POL birds laying for the first time.

I mix limestone flour (about a tsp) in with some mash, oyster shell, grit and water. Then add some treats like sweetcorn or chopped grapes all hidden in the mash. They love to search for the 'good stuff' but also really like the wet mash with no idea it's doing them good. I sometime put mealworms in for protein but it sounds like a calcium deficiency to me. If she free-ranges a lot then maybe she not filling up on enough pellets or at least just not quite enough for her to produce tougher eggs.

Hope this helps

Thanks for your replies - it does reassure me. (She moulted at Christmas, so don't think she's about to moult again - i.e. no sign of feather loss at the moment)

Well I've just made up some Ready Brek with warm milk, added some pellets and a teaspoon of the limestone flour, then made it a bit more liquid with bio-yoghurt. It went down a treat. Probably too late in the day to take effect for tomorrow (by the way, how long should it take before it works, a couple of days?) and is it OK to give them Ready Brek?

Lets hope she starts to be her normal naughty self soon.

Thanks

Sue