chickenlass

Well I have had to give up!

I thought things were going quite well over the last few days as regards the two seperate gangs free ranging together but alas this morning a terrible fight broke out again :evil::cry::cry: resulting in poor Margo and Angelica being too scared to go anywhere near food or water [even though there are several feeding stations around.]

Margo just looks thoroughly miserable and is very quiet so I have decided that, they nor I, can stand the stress any longer and have had to put the 4 new exbatts into the larger hen house and poor Marg and Angelica are in the old cattery pens which although smaller at least they will be safe from attack there. This of course means that both groups will now only be able to freerange alternately!! I am still hopeful that Hero [my not so oven ready girl now] will mix with Margo and Angelica who seem to be of a more gentle nature.

I feel a complete and utter faliure for taking this step but I just can't bare to see Margo and Angelica looking so miserable any longer.

I'm off for a good cry now .... :cry::oops::cry::oops:

Could you spare the time to supervise the free ranging for a day or to, and be prepared to blast the naughty girls with the hosepipe if they bully?

Sounds heartless, but a cold shock often does the trick.

Also, divide and conquer.

Why not take one of the naughty girls at a time and put them with the new girls. Alternate their days. That can help too by upsetting the status quo.

Why not put Margo and Angelica in the smaller accommodation for a spell too, to disorientate them, and take away the home advantage as it were. Let the new girls have the bigger accommodation for a while.

Good luck.

It will come right in the end I'm sure. :D

Your 2 original girls are obviously feeling quite out numbered, poor things. :( Ex-battery girls are used to having to 'fight' for their food and may see Margo & Angelica as a threat.

Also your ex-battery girls may only just be establishing a pecking order amongst themselves and adding your orginal 2 into the mix is possibly more confusing for them. I rescued 4 more chookies at the end of April and have only just integrated them with my other girls today. 'Slowly does it' may be the way to go here.

TBH i would keep them apart and wait a while, then try and integrate again at a later date. Maybe just two chooks to start with until you have a group of 4 established and then add in the rest? :?

It would seem a shame to have to keep them apart.

Unfortunately integrating chooks is not an easy process and there will be squabbles, feathers will fly and chooks will be grumpy for a while but as long as you keep a close eye on the situation and ensure no major damage is done then you really do need to leave them to get on with it - hard i know, but true.

Could you spare the time to supervise the free ranging for a day or to, and be prepared to blast the naughty girls with the hosepipe if they bully?

Sounds heartless, but a cold shock often does the trick.

Also, divide and conquer.

Why not take one of the naughty girls at a time and put them with the new girls. Alternate their days. That can help too by upsetting the status quo.

Why not put Margo and Angelica in the smaller accommodation for a spell too, to disorientate them, and take away the home advantage as it were. Let the new girls have the bigger accommodation for a while.

Good luck.

It will come right in the end I'm sure. :D

Sorry...I'm talking complete tosh here. :oops: When will I learn that I can't see without my glasses.

It is M and A that are being bullied....not the other way round.

Still try the hosepipe idea and the divide and conquer. it might work. It did when I had a twosome who thought they were in charge. I split them up and they forgot about each other and made new friends.

Another useful tip I found is to divert anyone caught bullying and place your hand on their back and make them crouch/submit to you.

All deeply psychological, but it often helps.

thaks all of you for your replies. Eglutine I have been squirting the baddies with a water pistol when ever I have caught them fighting. I do spend a lot of time around there with them..in fact so much time that the house is now a tip and no washing has been done! :shock: BUT there is a little bit of good news this morning.....I have taken the plunge and let Miss Oven Ready 2008 out with Margo and Angelica and so far those 3 are fine. Pheww!!! :D If they continue to behave like that then I am down to 2 flocks instead of 3 and that will be much easier for me.

I'll do as you have suggested and try with the intros again at a later day and maybe present 1 chicken at a time.

Thanks so much for all your suggestions. :lol:

This is all fascinating stuff - I'm enjoying reading this! Egluntine is first class when it comes to advice. Can't wait for the next chapter and Miss Oven Ready 2008? FABULOUS! :clap:

Clootie I can laugh about it today :lol: but yesterday I was ready for falling on my sword!! :anxious: ...Who would believe that chickens could cause so much chaos!! [Well most of the members on here probably][