Nicola O

Chicken poorly just as I'm going away !! UPDATE

Noticed last night that Mildred's right eye is all closed up. Not swollen, not weeping, but she just wont open it. Bathed it in clean water in case she had got something in it and again this morning as it was no better.

But typically, I am going away tomorrow until the weekend. I've got an appointment at the vets tomorrow morn. but I'm not looking forward to telling the chicken sitters that she is poorly, what if she needs drops every day !!! They won't want to do that !!

The good thing is that I am only going to my Sister's so I can re-arrange for another week if I have to - I did think of taking Mildred with me but I dont think that would be fair on her :D:wink: .

Oh well, we'll see what the vet says tomorrow.

Nicola.

Edited by Guest

Possible solution ??

E-mailed sister to tell her of the situation and she has said to bring Mildred so I can keep an eye on her (and administer medication if the vet gives me any). She has a large empty shed she can be in and I'll supervise Mildred freeranging whilst we are in the garden.

My one question would be - how long can she be away from the others before they 'forget' her (I would be at sisters until Friday) - or - should I take two chooks as I wouldn't want Mildred to be lonely.

I can't decide if this is a fair thing to do - would they be confused by a strange enviroment. I really don't think that the pet sitters would want the worry if looking after her (and it would be unfair of me to expect them to do it), but sister obviously doesn't want me to call off the visit as we've not seen each other since xmas. Oh dear, chooks are such a worry, and I don't know what to do for the best, any advice Omleteers??.

Nicola

Well, good news.

Mildred went to the vet, had an antibiotic jab, Oxytetracycline (spl?) i think the vet said, and as she did not need drops in her eye each day she stayed at home with the chicken sitters. She had a follow up appointment for today which chicken sitters were happy to take her to, but when I got home this evening they said they did not take her, and were very embarrased to admit that they couldn't work out which one was Mildred :lol:, even though we did do an identity parade before I left. Her eye is so much better that they couldn't find her amongst the other four g'nut rangers.

They did phone the vets who said that if she was that much better then the second visit was probably not needed - and when I checked her over she is absolutely fine