stoice

Depressed chicken

Had a friend check on my chooks this weekend as we were away. I usually give them limestone flour in mash with water but just filled grub and instructed her to check water levels and add treats in the evenings (Plus help herself to any eggs). Everything went fine. Yay.

Poor Babs my ex-batt. I think the lack of lime stone flour has had an effect on her. She was miserable and working on a softie when we returned sunday evening. She managed to lay the egg white with a tiny bit of paper-like shell then 5mins later she laid the yolk but the rest of the shell was still inside her. Half hanging out like a ribbon. She took herself off to bed really early so I thought it best to leave her to it and hope she passes it in the night. Yesterday morning - no sign of shell but she looked perky and was feeding and drinking as normal. Off to work I go.

Yesterday I only got back to the chooks quite late and all were tucked up in bed (As I had locked my keys in the house I had to wait till OH got home to let me in at about 9pm :oops: ) Check on the girls - all rather hot and one was panting due to the hot weather but Babs still looked really unhappy (and obviously sleepy). I hope she hadn't been out of sorts all day. There was a pile of eggy poo behind her and her feathers were mucky so i scooped her up out of bed and washed her bot. I then held her over steam to help her pass anything up there. Nothing. Poured out some cool water into a dish and she drank quite a lot so I know she's had fluids. This morning seems perky again.

How long can feeling iffy due to a softy last? Do you reckon she was suffering the whole day due to one softie or maybe it was just softy number two? I've given them all limestone flour enriched mash this morning so hopefully this should help. She looked so miserable. I'm now paranoid of fly strike if she keeps getting messy knickers, internal infection, perritinitus, (sp) I also wonder if that is what caused her botty to be picked to blood by Gladys a month ago?

Any advice would be much appreciated.