Willow Posted July 30, 2008 Share Posted July 30, 2008 Basic Muffin 9oz/255g plain flour 3 teaspoons baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional I don't put it in) 3-4oz/85-110g fine granulated sugar 1 egg 8fl oz/240ml milk 3fl oz/90ml veg oil/butter (I use olive oil) heat oven to 190 C gas mark 5 Sift together dry ingredients mix wet ingredients togetehr in a separate bowl Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir until just combined (about 30 secs) Put mix into 12 muffin cases and bak for 20-25mins Optional extra ingredients 85-100g chocolate chips or 85-140g chopped dried fruit (note you may need a little extra liquid with driedfruit additions) Forgot to say, this muffin recipe and the others I'll add to this topic all freeze well on day of baking. A frozen muffin popped in a lunchbox in the morning is defrosted by lunchtime Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Blackrocksrock Posted July 30, 2008 Share Posted July 30, 2008 They are nice with fresh/frozen blueberries put in before baking or rasps, banana, cherries or anything like that too. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Willow Posted July 30, 2008 Author Share Posted July 30, 2008 Apple Spice muffins 255g/9oz plain flour 2 teaspoons baking powder 1.5 teaspoon mixed spice 85-110g/3-4 oz fine white granulated sugar 170g/6oz finely chopped apple 150ml /5fl oz milk 90ml/3fl oz veg oil/melted butter (suggest olive oil) soft brown or demerea sugar to sprinkle on top Mix together dry ingredients mix together wet ingredients including apple pour wet ingredients into dry and mix until just mixed spoon into 12 muffin cases, sprinkle brown sugar on top bake 20-25mins @ 190 C These are a great way of using up the slightly wizened apples that get left in the bottom of the fruit bowl Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Willow Posted July 30, 2008 Author Share Posted July 30, 2008 Banana Muffins 280g/10oz plain flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda 3 large well ripened bananas 100g/4oz fine white granulated sugar 1 egg 60-90ml/2-3 fl oz milk 90ml/3fl oz veg oil or melted butter (I use olive oil) 85-100g Chocolate chips optional 1 teaspoon vanilla essence optional Banana Oatmeal variation that I usually make (with choc chips) reduce flour to 225g/8oz add 60g/2 oz rolled oats to the wet mix Mix dry ingredients (except oats if using as they go into wet mix) mix wet ingredients and add oats if doing oatmeal version Mash bananas add to wet ingredients pour wet ingredients into dry and mix until just mixed spoon into 12 muffin cases bake 20-25mins @ 190 C Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Couperwife Posted July 30, 2008 Share Posted July 30, 2008 I will soon be making muffins Ilove the idea of freezing them and them defrosting by lunchtime yay thanks cathy x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted August 25, 2008 Share Posted August 25, 2008 Tried a variation of this today and was pretty yummy! Will try again in the week as I didn't get quite enough sweetness in (used Hermasetas granulated instead of sugar). But a lovely muffiny texture - will have to keep making them as I've had to pay out for muffin cases! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Omletina Kyckling Posted August 28, 2008 Share Posted August 28, 2008 I just made the basic recipe with some cherries in and they are yummy. I've had a baking afternoon, made these plus some scones, bread, meringues and lemon curd!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
surferdog Posted August 28, 2008 Share Posted August 28, 2008 I always sprinkle some seeds on the top of mine with the sugar, just to add some extra goodness Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...