For those of you with two eglus side by side . . do you chooks spread out to roost in both? Use both nest boxes?

I've ordered a cube as all my ten chooks cram into one eglu leaving the other empty. Now I'm wondering if it's because they were not side by side near each other. And one was in a sunny spot, the other in shade.

I keep having a little panic about the cost of a cube when with two eglus I have enough space except they choose not to use it. I have thought about splitting them up and enforcing five into each eglu. OH thinks this would be cruel!

I have two cubes and an eglu and all but one of my girls have chosen to go into one cube tonight. Mine pick and choose where they are going to sleep. The ex-batts used to sleep in their cube whatever happened but lately they have been using the other one.

Tonight's tally in one cube is...

2 cochins

2 brahmas

1 brahma miniature

1 Orpington miniature

3 pekins

3 ex-batts

1 hybrid

1 RIR miniature

Torres, the other RIR miniature is all on her own in the eglu.

I had 2 eglus recently.

At roosting time 3 hens would go in the green one leaving 1 lone hen in the orange one! :roll:

For laying - they would fight to get in the orange one, and even though both the green and orange eglu were available they would only ever lay in the orange one! :lol: