New Guinea

Thinking of getting some guinea pigs...

I'm delighted with the eglu. It's so easy to clean out. I did think the stainless steel bowl was a little deep for the guinea pigs so I haven't been using it. Autumn was curled up in the hollow for the bowl when I came to get them out this afternoon. I had to remove the hay rack to get her out!

The only other issue I've had is with slugs. Chickens would find them a treat but I'm not sure guinea pigs are so keen. They probably bother me more than they do them.

I found Autumn with her back end hanging out of the hay rack this afternoon. For a moment I thought the worst. She was okay but I'm not sure she could have got out on her own. I put the hay rack on the floor of the eglu and she soon climbed out. I'm thinking about not using the hay rack in case she really gets into trouble in it. Has anyone else had adventurous guinea pigs in their hay rack? Do you think guinea pigs learn from their mistakes?

Do you think guinea pigs learn from their mistakes?

:lol::lol: this made me giggle....but yes they do, ours are lucky enough to be free range during the day and their favorite place is in my flower border which i tend to discorage :roll: the first time i had to get them out it took me half an hour but now all i have to do is go into the garden and they hop out immediatly with a guilty look on their little faces :roll:

I'm not sure about the hay rack i've never experienced any problems before....but she might have learnt!!! so maybe leave it for now and take it out if becomes a regular problem :roll:

Hello all! I am in Oklahoma, USA. I joined here because I didn't find an Omlet forum on the Omlet.USA site.

Anyhoo. I love piggies. I have had one before, and kept her in one of those metal rectangular cages. Then, about a week ago, a friend on another site showed me the Eglu. I LOVE it.

My question for you folks is: the winters in OK can be very very cold, down to zero sometimes, and our summers are very hot - it was over 104 here a few weeks ago.

Can a piglet survive in an eglu outside in those extremes? I know it's supposed to be insulated, but I'm worried. And I think an eglu would be too large for inside the house, what with the run and all.

Any advice?

8) How lovely to hear from you! I don't know the answer for sure, it may be best to check with Omlet, as the Eglu for guineas hasn't been around as long as the one for chickens.

However, I've kept guineas for about 18 years, 7 of them at one time, in wooden hutches. Seeing the Eglu for guineas, I'd love to get one. But, I only have i elderly guinea left & have promised husband that I won't be getting any more. Shame, I can just imagine them being cosy & running in & out. I have 2 chicken Eglus, but have been thinking about your questions.

I would imagine the heat would be fine as long as the Eglu was in the shade, I wouldn't risk the sun beating down on it.

But, I'm interested to see what the first owners do this winter. It's dampness more than cold that is harmful to guineas. My plan would have been to bring just the Eglu, without the run, into the garage for Winter, with just a tiny makeshift run space, then put the full Omlet run back on outdoors in the spring.

However, I think someone did talk about keeping it outside (even in snow, temps drop into minus here) but with a raincover on.

Well, I'm not an expert, but thought I'd reply, do tell us what you decide. :)

Hi there...We have a rablu for our G's and it's fantastic i think Sheila covered all the points i would have mentioned....not much more i can add but to say that we are getting on very well with ours, they have a full rain cover for misserable days like today and plenty of dry space which can be packed with bedding in the winter....the heat may be more of a problem but as sheila said ask the people at Omlet.....Hope that's kind of helpful

Our guineas were outside in a wooden cage last year. The temperatures were occassionally minus 9. They were absolutely fine and all felt really warm every day. We bought a rablu for them this year and we feel confident they'll be cosy and warm in that. Its been very hot here and they dont seem to have suffered in any way - we had the winter cover on the run so they had plenty of shade.We use hemcore as a layer on the bottom (from hemp) - this gets very warm in winter and put as much hay as possible in.

I have to say after years of wooden hutches and spending a fortune (literally) on indoor cages the eglu is brilliant.