quickcluck

think we may have worms! Newbie Advice please...

Hi guys...

I've been worried about Margo as she has stopped laying, it's been a week now... but I posted it in 'eggs'..... After reading Johannes Book, I think my OH has diagnosed worms!!!

The symptoms are :-

no eggs, Red comb now pink... it is floppy, but it always has been, she is eating alot but thought that was because she was laying, and finally poo's like water....

have withdrawn treats just incase she is not getting enough pellets.... they have only been having salad and sweetcorn....

I have already ordered flubenvet which should arrive asap, so will will have to work out how to give it to them.... and we give for 7days is that right?

Sorry to ramble on......

Advice please... :shock:

Horses Apple Cider Vinegar (not the stuff from Tesco) in their water could help

Mine are inconsistent too ... their combs have faded a bit (although this might be due to the mud bath that woodchips have given us).

I'm dosing at half-a-level-teaspoon-measure per 1.5kg feed ... which may be well off ... my electronic scales only do 5 gram increments.

glad things looking up. where did you get your flubenvet from? I've been looking online but would much rather get it from somewhere that someone else has used.

Got mine from www.petmeds.co.uk and it came really quickly.

For 4 hens I give 1 level teaspoon which is 4g (= 5ml so can use child's Calpol spoon) divided by 7 days and I use the grape method.

Their egg production has always been sporadic. Sometimes out of the four layers we'd get one egg.

Yesterday though was a three egg, and today a four egg day.

Might just be because they are all getting older but I'd definately say their combs and wattles have got bigger/redder in the last 48 hours.

The worms might have been my fault as we put down very old bark chippings that were partially composted and full of worms :oops:

Well we attempted the 'grape method' is pretty tricky. Margo the one i'm worried about managed to have more than her fair share! But they eventually all got a bit. Tomorrow i've to do it on my own which should be fun..........

Is it every 3 or 4 months you should repeat it?

Well we attempted the 'grape method' is pretty tricky.

You are braver than me! I predicted that it would end up with me having some very pecked fingers and Willow not standing a chance against the others. :roll: Always looking for an easy option, I mixed a dab of Flubenvet with a handful of sweetcorn (wet so it sticks). I layed the sweetcorn out in a long line so they all got an equal chance. Worked really well and I think I will stick to this method. I have to admit that my measurement of the dose was less than scientific but wasn't far off - thay are all alive and well and worm free! Anyway, it's just an alternative idea if the grapes prove problematical!

Four eggs yesterday, had two already yesterday, might get a few more before the day is out.

The wattles, combs, and faces - I've never seen them so red as they are now.

This certainly did the trick. Putting it in the feed and mixing up with some olive oil was easy to do and no stress.