rachel19

Help needed!

Hi everyone - a bit of an odd request if anyone can help! I'm now starting my final project at university which is genetic fingerprinting of the medicinal plant sea buckthorn. Basically I will be taking DNA samples from various plants and comparing the DNA structure of these to see how related they are. I currently have 2 samples from planted specimens (which usually come from China) but I have not yet collected any wild native british sea buckthorn depsite a few trips. I know the is some growing out in camber sands so I will be visiting there next week but if anyone knows of any growing near them (naturally not planted by us) then I would be very grateful if you could let me know. This plant is more of a coastal species so this probably wont apply to those of you inland but I know there are a few coastal eglu owners so if you could help I would be very grateful! At this time of year the female plants have orange berries along the branches and both male and female plants have long green leaves with a grey underneath (wikipedia has a picture). I live in Brighton so cannot travel that far but if anyone further afield knows where it is and can collect it easily I'm more than happy to send money for postage if you are able to send.

Any help would be great - this is a very interesting plant with many health benefits and i'd really like to get as good a mark in my project as possible as this is the kind of thing I would like to do when I leave uni. Thank you!!!

oooh - off to the seaside tomorrow for a few days so I will have a look out for you. Must check out the pics first or you could get some interesting (but totally random sanples)

I just looked on google images - did you know they make sorbet out of it as well - a trip to the seaside means icecream - but I will keep an eye out for its orange berries as well. :D

Thank you all very much! The picture on wikipedia is quite an accurate one and the plant that I found that had berries on did look exactly like it. I also saw some on a busy roundabout that also had lots of berries so they should hopefully be easy to spot if they are there! :D

Thanks for the support Kate - i don't think sea buckthorn is found in NZ sadly otherwise that could be an interesting extra to the project!

Hi Rachel,

I think there is a lot of that stuff growing at Seaton Carew not far from us. In fact the council are taking steps to control it apparently. Our beach has similar dunes to Seaton so it probably grows here too.

If we stumble across some how much do you want? Do you need the berries too?

Kev.

Hi thats great - i only need a handful of leaves and a couple of berries if you could send those it would be fantastic! Just put them in one of those sealable plastic sandwich bags and it should be fine in the post - please let me know how much it will cost you and I can give you the money for sending :D Thank you so much!! Could you also just stick a note in with it stating the date collected and the location.

Hi Rachel

I'm sure I can get you some - we must have it on our coast so I'll find out and send you some if i can find it; good excuse for a wander down to the beach/marshes sometime during the week. Will you pm me your address so that I can post it to you (providing I find some)?

Do you need it this week or have we got a week or two to find it?

Regards

Richard