Steve.

Adding 3 POL Hens to Existing 5 - Feather Eating

no, I knew you had littlies - the 'hire a cement mixer' comment was the kind of thing that I would suggest brightly, and would get my DH muttering "and stick YOUR head in it"!!! yes ask the architect, bound to know someone who will at least turn up and even if it costs a few £ more at least it will be done.

Hahaha - how rude - though I'd never say anything like that. I'd find something much ruder :whistle:

Frustrating eh. :wall:

Makes sense to do it at same time as your walk in run. You'll only find the panels are 6" bigger than your base.

Chin up :D

Oh god - just don't go there!

Good point though ... I love my chooks but at the moment they are no fun to be near due to smell and risk of getting covered in mud/poo combination from a 4 foot radius.

How are they doing in general Steve? Are they up to their knees in mud?

Yep - well - their ankles anyway. They stink too ... poor things.

So Saturday we will pop them in the hospital run, move the cube, powerwash it, and pop them back in.

Depending on how much time we have we might wash a few of them off in a bucket of warm water - I can see that being very popular. Powerwashing chickens I don't think is an option.

They can go without chippings for a week or so as I need to raise the skirt otherwise the woodchip etc will get kicked out.

Oh, and some garden lime or something for the soil they've been on since July.

garden lime and stalosan if you've got it!!! can you put the green stuff round the skirt to hold it in? It works pretty well here......

Powerwashing? Sounds interesting, but you're right a quick dunk will be much more appreciated closely by a blast with the hair dryer or they'll freeze into statues! :shock:

I've ordered some Stalosan off eBay, that should be here in the next couple of days.

I have a 6" or so skirt around the run but this may not be enough on concrete?

We'll take a look in Wilco as in the summer they had some deeper lawn edging ... though may need to wait till it's in 'season'.

Weather it looking chilly but no rain, so assuming no major catastrophes, we should move them onto the patio at the weekend, and we'll get a couple of quote from folks that actually want some work.

would there have been an 'f' word somewhere in there Steve? certainly would in this house!!

He got the 'c' word :evil:

Anyway, some good news, the girls must be getting excited about Christmas as we've had a ton of 8 egg days. We're going to be overun with eggs in the Spring. Brilliant or what?

I got mine for a couple of quid from wilkos in the summer, but a garden centre should be able to sort you out...

What are you doing with all those eggs?

Thanks we'll take a look in Wilkos.

The eggs get eaten, or sold, although we have 4+ years to go to break even!

Egg Stats

0008em9.th.jpg

I'm knackered.

Started at 9am, finished at 5pm. Stopped for one wee and took 10 mins to have lunch (bacon and cheese toasted sandwich).

Quick Summary:

Put together hospital run

Put chooks in hospital run

Put dog box in hospital run for eggs

Gave them food + water, and corn to keep them busy

Moved Patio furniture out the way

Moved Cube onto Patio

Took cube apart (tho left on front panel)

Cleaned Cube from top to bottom (though can't get some of the purple spray off the innards)

Put some lino + wood shavings for nestbox

Cleaned Run from top to bottom

Added extra skirt on the new extension

Cleaned 2x grub 2x superglug

Washed 8 x chickens in a big tub in the garden with warm water + washing up liquid. They all enjoyed it apart from Wilma and Delilah. Didn't towel or hairdryer them, they seemed fine, if subdued for a bit.

Put chooks in run.

Put on my 2.4 metre cover + a Omlet cover giving almost 100% protection (left a gap for the hinged run-door)

Gave them some veg to peck at in a couple of those food balls.

Cleaned out their Dust bath and gave them new sand.

Tidied up the old boggy woodchip + put down some Stalosan f.

Put down 2x bags of woodchip in the run

Tidied up.

Had a shower.

Probably quite a lot of other stuff too .... garden is like Boggy Creek. Oh dear.

Found 3x clean eggs in the nest box and 1x in the dog box, so 7 eggs today. Not bad.

Expecting egg production to drop the next few days as they've been scoffing corn to keep them quiet!

Next job - find someone to do my run at the bottom of the garden!

Oh, and I'm going to make them something to perch on.