Steve.

Adding 3 POL Hens to Existing 5 - Feather Eating

Had to push the abort button on this ... Geraldine started to eat Jezabel's comb and ear flaps a little blood. Have washed the wound, and separated them.

Jezabel is free-ranging whilst the bleeding stops. Have got that violet stuff but I can't aim it that well.

I'll pop her back in with the other chooks when she's back to normal.

Let me know if I am doing the right/or wrong thing - thank you!

EDIT: Popped her back in with her mates.

Steve, sorry if I've misunderstood but do you mean you had an old one in the small run with your new ones?

What size is the small run? Mine have an 18ft x 6ft run and there is no way I will let my old and new be locked in it together yet.

Yes I put two old ones in with the new ones. They have free-ranged together for 5 hours over the weekend.

The chooks are older than what I expected - I think they may start laying soon :(

I put two different ones in and there was no pecking at all. These chooks are in the middle of the pecking order of the old flock. The chook that fought today and yesterday is at the bottom of the pecking order of the old flock.

My 'hospital run' is about 1m x 1.8m.

Well I'm no expert, all I can do is tell you what i've been doing. I bought a couple of 15 week olds 3 weeks ago. I put them all in together at night for 4 nights and kept them seperate during the day i.e. babes in run and oldies free ranging. On the 5th night the oldies drew blood on one of the babes. So for the last 2 and a bit weeks they have had total seperation. I think my mistake was putting chooks together at night when it wasn't pitch black.

So the plan now is to start introducing the new chooks to oldies by free ranging together for a couple of hours daily, late afternoon, after they've had a chance to have a good feed, in case the oldies don't let them near the food. Then seperate chooks at bed like we've been doing, but then when it's v dark pop out and put new chooks with oldies for the night. Then mad dash out in the morning to let the big ones out to free range. See how it goes. Do that for a week then the new chooks will be about 19 weeks, and I'll let them mix up and free range all day.

When they have been free ranging in short bursts this week, theres been a bit of chasing and little pecking, but nothing major. One of my chooks has absoluelty no interest in the new ones.. but peggy the top chook is very keen to show who's boss.

Take the intros gradually and just keep an eye on what the birds are up to and I'm sure you'll be able to figure out the best solution.

Good luck.

Sorry Steve, I'd had to post and run as I was at work and shouldn't have been on here :oops:

We're onto our second lot of intro's.

The first two we introduced were around 8 months old when we got them. We introduced them to six ex batts and the pecking when they were together in the run was dreadful at times - all 6 cornering them and attacking so we managed it by letting the oldies into the garden first thing then starting free ranging together after about four days. We had a rabbit hutch for the then newbies to sleep in and within 2 weeks they'd all decided to sleep together.

Our current introduction involves four new ones that are now nearly 18 weeks old. They are still getting chased and pecked at by two of the older girls but it only seems to be over food and the occasional go just for the heck of it :roll: I've 3 food and water stations out and it's still happening but the new ones can run out of the way in the garden so it's getting better. Infact a few minutes ago I saw the new ones chasing some of the older ones for bread that the wild birds have dropped. We've still got the rabbit hutch for the new ones to sleep in and think we'll leave it until they choose to go and sleep in the coop of their own accord, unless they want to be separate for weeks in which case we will bung them in all together.

I think all you can do really is play it by ear but it's certainly nerve wracking at times. I've also read that keeping the top hen away from the rest of the flock for a while can help with introductions.

Good luck :)

Thank you abwsco for your story. Actually, thank you all for your stories. Helps me know that I'm doing it (mostly) right.

Ours seem to free-range together okay toay. Just given them some bread with milk on and all flock affiliations were forgotten in the rushing to get there before anyone else.

There is nothing (possibly) funnier than seeing a dual-clipped wing chicken try to run.

Geraldine laid an egg first thing this morning - so she's all fixed. Jezabel is fully healed. They repair themselves quickly don't they ...

I think I'll put them back in their respective runs soon - it's starting to get dark ...

I guess the process is more arduous than I'd originally thought. DW says she's glad we got the extra chooks - we have a 24 egg waiting list + our own needs to satisfy.

Helllpppp!!!!!!!

Found a squashed (possible eaten) tiny egg in the dog-box this morning.

These POL's may be beyond the point of return.

Keep them in the dogbox still overnight or put them in the Cube? And I don't have a nestbox in the hospital run as yet ... as our first set of POL's took 6 weeks to start. This lot took 5 days ... :shock:

Bullet his been bitten and popped them all in together.

Mostly feather pulling - no blood spilled.

Either the top chook or bottom chook in the existing flock doing the poking.

Have put extra food and drinkers in ... and corn in the run to keep them amused.

Water keeps getting kicked over so will need to re-think that one.

WWII has temporarily stopped while eggs were laid and for a dust bath.

I will split them if I need to ....

Don't panic Steve,

one of my new babies started laying while the introduction period was happening.

Don't rush things beacause of that. I gave her a bowl with straw in for her in her temporary run to lay in. Try to cover part of the sides and the roof where you put that to make it a bit darker so she feels more comfy.

In the end it was this hen that lead the full integration as when they were all out free ranging she went into the eglu to lay her egg and not her own nest box.

But she did this on her own timetable and not mine :roll:

Once she had layed in the eglu she also wanted to sleep in it and then they all merged within a couple of days.

Just keep going with the freeranging together, and give them treats along the fence line even if they are separated. They will get there :D

Thank you.

I have a Super Glug, an extra hanging waterer, two full Grubs, and a bowl of mash.

They are all now preening themselves - old and new.

Pecking has reduced to not very much ... there has been little chasing ... the new girls stay around the outside. A new and old when in the dustbath together.

Oh so difficult to decide what is best to do for tonight ... whether to let them all sleep in the cube.

Having the same dilemma today too.. Think I'm going to put newies in with oldies tonight, I'm going to seperate them and put newies in the shed at dusk and then when oldies have put themselves to bed and it's dark I'm going to pop back out and put newies in with them.

Was going to last night.. but hubby was out on the lash and I was too lazy to pop out in the pitch black... def going to do it tonight though.. can't put it off any longer!

Problem is running out in the morning to let them all out to free range before oldies get there beaks stuck in ! if you know what I mean. Must jump up get kids breakfast and then let chooks out... before it get very light!..

Good luck with yours, hope all integrations go well.

I think I may have had a very easy integration with mine so take this with a pinch of salt.

Have your newbies shown any interest in going into the cube with the others, during the day when they are free ranging? If not I may leave it a bit longer before putting them in together. Mine just walked in on their own when they were ready.

Just got a second Egg from the new flock, this one from Enid. It's teeny tiny. She looked rather surprised. And found her way to the nestbox with no problems.

So far the pecking has been at the level we experienced when we first got the original hens. I've spread the food and water out even more to allow easier access to both.

They went into the run when free-ranging. I think they tried to commandeer it straight away. They were in their with other chooks and there were a few tantrums from the old flock.

I have to say it's a tricky one, I can honestly say I hardly slept at all the first night I put my girls together, and when I did I had horrible nightmares!

Do you have to work on Friday and do you have Saturday off? If so I would be tempted to make Fri night their first night together otherwise you'll be fit for nothing at work, and you can be up really early on Sat am to let them all out and check on them, as you can have a nap in the pm if you need to.

Very pleased that another of your new girls is laying though :lol: They are obviously very happy with you.

I have to say it's a tricky one, I can honestly say I hardly slept at all the first night I put my girls together, and when I did I had horrible nightmares!

Do you have to work on Friday and do you have Saturday off? If so I would be tempted to make Fri night their first night together otherwise you'll be fit for nothing at work, and you can be up really early on Sat am to let them all out and check on them, as you can have a nap in the pm if you need to.

Very pleased that another of your new girls is laying though :lol: They are obviously very happy with you.

I work from home :pray: so can keep an eye out ... as I sometimes work from a room that overlooks the chooks. Sadly working from home does not mean bunking off doing anything ... generally means forgetting to have a life and 50+ hour weeks.

DW agreed to let the girls out first-thing tomorrow (I think this is about 6.45am).

Hopefully we are all set ...... they seem to have calmed down since it's gotten a bit darker.

Have a check definitely,

it will put your mind at ease to know what's going on in there and even though the torch disturbs them a bit they go straight back to sleep. You can also tell by who's sleeping where how well they are getting on. At first mine slept apart but now they all snuggle up together.

I know what you mean about working from home, my OH does and I've caught him talking to customers on his phone while having a wee! I pray they can't hear :pray: but he says he doesn't have time to stop :roll:

I'll be thinking of you and watching this post to see how things go over night and in the morning . :D

They'll be fine Steve.

I haven't read all of your thread, but the best way is to keep them apart in different accommodation, yet in sight of each other for 3-4 days, then careful introductions when they are free ranging so that any bulllied hens can leg it out of danger, then progress to them sharing a run, which I guess is where you are now.

There will be some pecking, but try not to intervene so long as they ones being pecked can get away. It's natural that they will do this and it's best not to interfere unless blood is drawn.

I hope that they settle down.

:wink: Leave them to it - so long as they are out sharpish in the morning, there will be less agro.

Mine are all fine - introduced at similar time to yours - Nuggett on her 3rd egg today :clap: , and Jas awaiting the laying experience. Mrs Snowy has an internal run now, as she destroys Ebonys eggs :evil: .But Nuggett is laying with Ebony and all is well, so after they have laid, I let them all in together.

mostin,

Had a look inside the cube --- the new chooks are in the middle of all the other chooks!

Geraldine, the one that's causing all the problems was in the corner on her own. Very odd.

Claret,

They've been here since Sat, freeranging on Sat/Sun/Mon and Tue. The two runs are very close together - and I've had the Cube Feeder and Drinker on the side on the new chooks.

I haven't intervened today - and no visible blood was drawn (I checked them all before dusk) and combs/wattles/ear flaps are all intact.

So when can I get some more hens? Just kidding.

Now to make a sign for the DW so when she gets up at 6-too-early-thank-god-I-don't-get-up-then she remembers to let the chooks out.

I'll be suprised if you aren't up with her. I have slept through fire alarms and cavity wall insulation being piped into my bedroom wall but I was up in the morning and up that garden like lightning the first night they were all together.

Isn't it weird that Geraldine has been left on her own? Perhaps she's giving off the wrong "vibes" and disturbing the other birds?

The best thing that happened for me was a really cold night, it was the first time they all really huddled together overnight, it's amazing how being selfish for some heat will overcome there dislike of each other. :lol::lol::lol:

So glad they are settled for the night, fingers crossed for the morning.

Sounds like things are going well for your chhoks. Well done. Not so good here, the skyline has had her wing shoulder pecked and guess what .. blood has been drawn!.. back to the drawing bourd for us.. I'll just go back a step.. keep them seperate at night for another coupke of weeks and try again.. I'm sure we'll get there in the end..

Have fun chicken watching today.. not too much work avoidance.

To reassure the forum, I was not up early. 8am is fine thanks. Please remember I am a Man.

Jezabel is currently in the nest box laying ..... so 7 out of 8 hens are now producing eggs.

eggypeggy, sorry to hear that your hens are not ready yet - they will be in time. No chance of not doing work - things go rather wrong if I don't stick the hours in :oops: