urbanchook

Can diet cause sour crop?

Hello Omlet -

This morning I treated Ginger for sour crop. When I picked her up this morning, she had a distended crop that felt fluid filled and "mushy." She hadn't eaten in a day or two, but seemed to drink sparingly. Her breath was very smelly.

Using advice posted on the Omlet Clinic, I emptied the crop (turning her upside down and massaging the crop) which seemed to help her. She laid an egg mid-afternoon, and spent the day roosting, moving slowly and eating mincing small bites or Layers Pellets.

I'm hesitant to feed her treats, but is there anything I should feed her to help her recover?

Tonight, she's put herself to bed and seems bright-eyed. I'm hoping for a full recovery by morning - but I need some Omlet advice.

I'm wondering if Ginger's diet could be the cause of her upset. Recently, she has discovered that spraying her Layers Pellets on the ground gets them wet and softens them. She prefers them soft, and will generally not eat the pellets out of the grub bowl.

Also, recent backlog in Omlet's shipping caused a delay in my reorder of pellets. During the interim, I was advised to feed dry museli. Can either wet pellets or dry museli cause sour crop or digestive problems?

I'm still trying to find a food that Ginger will eat without scattering it all over the run, and I have read some referenced to Layers Mash. Apologies for the amateur question, but can anyone tell me what "Layers Mash" is and where to get it?

I am grateful for Omlet Clinic. It has helped the girls and me recover from a prolapse, a fox attack and now sour crop. I appreciat any insights or advice from other Omleteers to help with Ginger's tummy trouble.

Thanks,

Urbanchook (on behalf of Ginger and Mary Ann).

Layers mash has the same ingredients as pellets but in a powdery form.

Mine won't eat anything else. I make it up every morning with hot water. I used to add honey and/or yoghurt as some people on this forum do but they prefer it straight.

Having said that, my chooks won't eat mashed pellets so perhaps there is some difference as far as taste goes but they are supposed to be identical nutritionally.