victoriabunny

Can anyone recommend a dog trainer in Greater Manchester?

Or thereabouts...I'm having a few issues with Charlie at the moment (my rescue lurcher cross, had him for 6 months). He's a wonderful dog and I love him to bits, and his behaviour is excellent in every way - except when he's on his lead. He'll walk reasonably nicely - he does pull a bit but this is improving - but if he sees another dog, he barks madly at them and lunges to try to get to them. He does this in an aggressive rather than excited way. Doesn't matter if they're on the other side of the road, a hundred yards ahead, whatever - if he sees them, this is how he responds. Off the lead, he ignores dogs completely or walks up to them and has a polite wag/sniff - he's a completely different animal. What's worrying me though is yesterday I was walking him on his lead and the little girls who live next door asked to come and stroke him - they've played with him before and he's been fine, so I said yes. As they walked towards him he started barking frenziedly at them, the way he does with other dogs. This scared them - and me - as I don't want him to become aggressive, or even for people to think he's aggressive. They backed off quickly and he was fine, but they were quite shaken and so was I. Again, with children he's lovely when he's off his lead, but I won't be taking that risk for a while until I've got this behaviour sorted out. We haven't got any children, but are planning on starting a family soon and I need to know Charlie's behaviour won't be an issue (obviously I would never leave any dog alone with a child for any length of time, but still).

I can only come to the conclusion that he feels threatened/insecure when he's on his lead, or perhaps that he's trying to protect me - but I don't know how to teach him that he's safe and doesn't need to act this way. I need a good trainer - and any advice from you guys would be welcome...

(I've tried the Yellow pages/internet/my vet, and I've got a couple of numbers, but I'd like a personal recommendation if possible).

Sounds like you need a behaviourist rather than a trainer.

The best thing to do is phone your vet and get their recomendations.

You can try this website to find people, but I think they do need a vet refferal.

http://www.apbc.org.uk/

A dog trainer trains dogs to sit/walk to heal etc, and on't know the ins and outs of 'why' like a behaviourist does.

Be careful of getting numbers out of the phone book, anyone can say they are a trainer/behaviourist, but not have any real qualifications, or even experience.

Association of pet dog TRAINERS website

http://www.apdt.co.uk/

Hi there, miles from you but you could certainly give this lady a try - Maggie Spencer. She lives opposite me and has 8 or 9 dogs, (it varies :shock: ) she's a dog trainer, a Crufts judge and although I don't think she advertises as a dog behaviouralist, what she doesn't know about dogs isn't worth knowing. She was INVALUABLE when I was considering getting Delilah, told me what traits to look for in the Mum and Dad ( a Dogue de Bordeaux / Mastiff cross) told me what to look for in Delilah, how she might turn all stroppy teenagerish in adolescence, which we did see a bit of.

This sounds a bit airy fairy, but I recommended her to a friend who, unwisely IMO, took on a Spaniel pup, then couldn't cope with a hyperactive dog :roll:

http://hightimbers.co.uk/page1001.html

There's the link, she's a really nice lady although she's quite shy I think.

ANyway, if you can't find anyone local I really think she would be worth a call

Mrs B

We used Bark Busters with Alfie, he is a rescue lurcher X everything else in the book :lol:

The man came to the house and imediately told us about Holly's personality, just because they are so different, and why Alfie is the way he is, the suggestions are so simple but they work!

It is far from cheap but a well behaved dog is priceless when children are involved. We are thinking of calling him back as Alfie now barks like a mad thing at dogs patrolling the fence at the bottom of the garden, which they have every right to do as it is an open space, but I'd like to break the habbit.

They have behaviourists all over the country and they cover an area, have a look on their website, and you could e-mail the one for your area :D

Karen x