A chickychickychick-ENN!!

Leeks: chicken-friendly?

Hello.

All of our chickens went mad over onion leaves.

We fenced off an area of garden but were amazed to see how far the chickens could poke their necks though the wire fencing and reach my raised beds.

All the onions within pecking distance were reduced to 2 inches of leaves, (only just enough to pull them out with).

Now they are attacking the courgette leaves that are creeping in their direction. I'd have thought that courgette leaves would be too rough and hairy, but if one chicken rips of a large piece, she ends up running round the garden with the other 3 running after her.

I thought 'grape rugby' was their only sport but now they have invented the 'courgette chase'.

I won't have any hesitation giving mine the tops from the leeks as they may be getting low on fresh greens from the garden soon (grew Kale as a special treat to keep them going, but the caterpillars have now stripped the leaves and killed the plants :( )

Kind regards

Christine

Half of me really wants to do it now to see if they give me fragrant eggs, but we've only had five eggs thus far, and two went to neighbours, so I'm loathe to mess up my tiny supply of fresh eggs just yet. That said, they are ALL (yay!) squatting now when I go close, so more eggs may be imminent!

Anna x