bellekatz

We are devastated.............NOW Help Tilly is pining

I have been watching Tilly over the past week as I have noticed her fur round her back legs has been thinning drastically. She isnt moulting so I am fairly certain that she is over grooming because she is missing Taz :cry: They had never been separated since being born and she is taking it hard. Anyone got any ideas of what I can do for her until we get the new baby for her to mother? Any ideas on any natural remedies I could use? I have some Rescue Remedy but haven't given it to her yet..... All Help gratefully appreciated.

tillyfullbodycropcopy-1.jpg

My friend has had this problem with one of her cats - (he's also spraying :roll: !) He's been overgrooming so much he's gone bald on his tum, and then he got a skin infection.

The vet advised Feliway, which is a sort of pheromone thing that you plug in, a bit like an air-freshener, and it is supposed to make cats feel more chilled out. My friend's circumstances are slightly different to yours, as she has four cats and this particular one is being bullied. I think you can also get Feliway as a spray, and spray it directly onto bedding or furniture.

Can you find a new toy that might distract her, or is there something you can do to make an extra fuss of her so she doesn't feel lonely? She's such a gorgeous pusscat - the good news is that they do get over this problem and the fur will grow back.

Hi Jayne, poor Tilly :( I know this is slightly different, but my dog used to get in a terrible state when she heard any loud bangs, cars backfiring, thunder and of course fireworks would turn her into a shivery shaking panting mess :( I talked to the vet about it and he suggested herbal Kalms which worked brilliantly. I halved the adult dose. I don't know whether it would work to calm Tilly down on those days when she is alone. You could try a quarter of a tablet crushed and mixed with food? I hope she feels better soon, it's horrible to have to worry about a pet, and she is a beautiful cat 8)

Tessa

I used a couple of herbal remedies on Cleo when we first rescued her - the rock rose Bach flower remedy, which went in her water and a tincture of valerian and hops, which went in her water when she was having a really bad day. She used to overgroom too, and it's horrible to see. The valerian does make them calmer, but the easiest way to give flower remedies or tinctures is to make up a small bottle of water with a few drops in it, and then put a few drops of that bottle in their water, otherwise you run the risk of really dopey cats.

We get Cleo catnip mice when her kittens go, which she carries around for a bit like babies, and then sleeps next to. Playtime with you will make a difference, even if it's only ten minutes a day chasing a feather on a stick.

Took Tilly to the vet this morning as we think she as been using the corner of the conservatory as a toilet ( it has taken us 3 nights of separating cats to make sure it was her!!) She probably has cystitis so is now on atibiotics and painkillers. The grooming can be a sign of cystitis as well so hopefully it is all interelated and with medication she can get back to being her normal self :)