bellekatz

We are devastated.............NOW Help Tilly is pining

Thanks for all your kind thoughts - we are getting back to normal now and our other Maine Coon Girls have become a bit bolder now they dont have big brother/uncle to look out for them. DS has also come to terms with it and we are hoping that there will be a beautiful boy for us born this weekend in a litter of Maine coon s from one of our best friends. If no boy then we will look for another breed maybe a norwegian forest or a somali. I could go and get a rescue cat but have had health problems there as well in the past (had the cat 3 weeks before we had to have her put down) so moggies are not always healthier. Anyway the insurance has paid up so we will wait and see what this weekend brings - It would be New Year before we bring one of these babies home a great way to start a new year :)

Awww, I so hope you can get another boy.....a Norwegian forest cat would be lovely too - I'd love one of those....have you ever thought about a Turkish Van? I think they are beautiful but when we were getting the boys we lived by a canal and I couldn't bear the thought of him swimming in the dirty canal water and then coming in yeuch!!

Are you going to torture us broody kitty mummies with photos of the newborns? :wink:

This is what I love about this forum - I have never heard of a Turkish Van cat before. Googled it and they're lovely. Never heard of Maine Coon cats before this site either.

When the next time comes to get a cat I will have a wealth of choices to make. Probably still end up with a 'moggie' though. :wink:

Another bout of googling :shock: they're gorgeous too. I read it said minimal brushing. I wonder if this is true. The breeder who sold me Cookie said it didn't take much to brush her but I have to say I'm sure thats why my wrists hurt so much.

With the Maine Coon do they need much grooming as well?

We were thinking of getting a siamese next time as Dave is half siamese and he's been so interesting as a pet. He's very nosey, likes to head butt you, give you kisses, climb on your shoulders etc which my dear old tabby moggie hasn't done.

Another bout of googling :shock: they're gorgeous too. I read it said minimal brushing. I wonder if this is true. The breeder who sold me Cookie said it didn't take much to brush her but I have to say I'm sure thats why my wrists hurt so much.

With the Maine Coon do they need much grooming as well?

We were thinking of getting a siamese next time as Dave is half siamese and he's been so interesting as a pet. He's very nosey, likes to head butt you, give you kisses, climb on your shoulders etc which my dear old tabby moggie hasn't done.

I dont brush my Maine Coons unless they are moulting. They are a cat that originated in Maine ( :roll: ) and there are no cat brushes in the wild!! I had thought of turkish Vans before and ragdolls ( I once had a manic Birman!) but I just love these big hairy cats that look just like your average moggie apart from the size! And with wedgies (Norwegian Forest) there are breeders in the northwest that have some gorgeous red tabby boys ( gingers to you and me!) that are to die for! :dance: Anyway - Mum cat has gone into labour this afternoon so just waiting to see what comes out :D:D:shock:

News is that there wqere 2 boys and 3 girls in the litter, a silver tabby and a brown and white tabby. All seem to be settled and feeding well at the moment so we are keeping fingers crossed! Silver Tabby boy seems favourite as DS doesnt want another brown tabby that reminds him of taz but we wioll see when they are a little older and fit to be viewed. The beauty is that our breeder friend is literally a few hundred yards down the road so there is plenty of chance to visit and getto know a kitten well before we bring them home! It has been like being an expectant grandparent this afternoon :oops: waiting for news of a new arrival! :D:D

Thats wonderful news - I'm so glad the mum had some boys for you to pick from. :D

Can we have lots of photos please?

I must say that the idea of a 'big' cat is interesting for me as Cookie is a big bruiser and the thought of bringing a poor little kitty in at some point has been worrying me.

She corners Dave and nuzzles his ears, chews his face and he takes that as they've grown up together. But then she gets carried away and often clobbers him with her paws. He's often to be found hanging on for dear life to her muzzle trying to get through the fur to inflict some pain on her. They love each other really though and he has lots of escape routes.

I thought my husband was going to have a coronary when we paid £400 for Nero! Of course, he now admits he can see why people would pay more for pedigrees. In my opinion, it's because you know what you're going to get - both of my pedigree maus (not so much the rescue, although she's still lovely) are exactly like the breed standard, people oriented, chatty, playful, fixated on their care-giver, loving, cuddly and simply gorgeous. I adore my cross breeds and rescues, but they're much more of a risk if you want a particular kind of cat, personality wise.