jak

Introducing new girl - vinegar spray

Hi - just brought home a new layer as one of ours has continually laid softies for weeks now - she seems Ok in herself but no good for our egg supply!

I read in my book that you can spray all of them with a plant spray with water and a bit of vinegar in - so they all smell the same and are less likely to fight etc.

Anyone got any experience of doing this? Thanks! :D

I'm by no means experienced, so take my comments with a due pinch of salt...

BUT... I'm pretty sure there have been links posted on here about chicken intelligence, showing that although they're not the smartest of animals, they do have surprisingly good face recognition skills for other birds. So, I would expect newcomers are still going to be bullied even if they smell like the rest of the flock.

I have some anecdotal evidence for this too, as our new bantam has been sleeping with the other three for two weeks and is only just starting to get accepted - and she must have picked up a lot of their scent early on.

It's possible the vinegar can help in other ways though - as if feathers taste sour, maybe they are less likely to be pulled?

Good luck!

/\dam

Edited by Guest

I read in my book that you can spray all of them with a plant spray with water and a bit of vinegar in - so they all smell the same and are less likely to fight etc.

I must have the same book as you! :D Yeh, tried it and seemed to work - or maybe they would have got on anyway, but it made me feel better!

We have just spent the last hour trying to thread canes through and have ended up putting pieces of wood across the bottom half as she kept getting through. I have covered her half of the run entirely with the winter cover, summer cover and a towel so she feels cosy. She doesn't seem to want to go inthe box with straw.

Ohwell, sure I will be up at the crack of dawn nervously checking it all out ... :boohoo: