little jerry Posted November 3, 2008 Share Posted November 3, 2008 One of my chickens is very keen on flying. I was told by the breeder that they could only do large hops, but we had to clip her wing when one day I looked out of the window and Florence was swinging on my clean washing, which was about 7 feet high. The clipping seems to have lowered her hights a bit. Does anyone else have chickens that can fly so high Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Paola Posted November 4, 2008 Share Posted November 4, 2008 Not as high as that Having said that I keep bantams. If they are determined enough mine will fly a little, however I have not clipped there wings. Once one of my girls flew to the top of the kids slide (about 5ft) and slid down it Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
EileenH Posted November 4, 2008 Share Posted November 4, 2008 I spotted my two `tightrope walking` up the clothes prop to the top and perching precariously on the line before flying down. The prop was at about 45 degrees from the vertical. It was the funniest sight I`ve ever seen - bar none. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egg Lou Posted November 4, 2008 Share Posted November 4, 2008 My big girsl don't tend to fly..just hop skip and jump! but the teenage pekins.. well thats another story.. they can fly as far as next doors trees.. including over a 6' fence! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
moomin Posted November 4, 2008 Share Posted November 4, 2008 Gosh that's put me off having Pekins Egg Lou! Don't fancy having to go round to next doors to fetch them! I thought all they'd be able to do is some big flying-hops and jumps, due to their feathered feet and round little shape. That's all my cochin can do! Now I think it must be her weight holding her down Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sheik Posted November 4, 2008 Share Posted November 4, 2008 Saffron got spooked by my wife pulling the wheelie bin the other day, and flew onto a chair, onto the top of our run and then straight over the fence into the street . Luckily she was none the worse for it, but it's a bit worrying. She's still growing though so hopefully she'll pile on enough weight that she won't fancy leaping about too much. /\dam Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
abwsco Posted November 4, 2008 Share Posted November 4, 2008 I've just seen our black rock fly up and over 6ft this afternoon and carry on half way down the garden. We are definately going to have to clip her wing but she's so light and tiny that I don't think it's going to make much difference Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
little jerry Posted November 4, 2008 Author Share Posted November 4, 2008 Well it seems there are some other super chickens out there too.Florence did make me laugh swinging on the clothes line, but I didnt want her to hurt her self or poo on my clean washing. Hence the clipped wing. Didnt take too much off her wing as I was a bit nervous. [first time]. She can still enjoy a bit of flying, just not so high. Dont want to spoil all her fun. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mostin Posted November 4, 2008 Share Posted November 4, 2008 My black Rock is the best flyer. If anyone is going to fly over the fence and down the garden it is always her . We have clipped her wing as much as we can but she can still get some air under her when she wants to. The funny thing is though that once she gets out she just sits on the other side of the fence to the other girls, she doesn't go anywhere . "Why make all the effort?" I ask her. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egg Lou Posted November 4, 2008 Share Posted November 4, 2008 Gosh that's put me off having Pekins Egg Lou! Don't fancy having to go round to next doors to fetch them! I thought all they'd be able to do is some big flying-hops and jumps, due to their feathered feet and round little shape. That's all my cochin can do! Now I think it must be her weight holding her down Oh no don't be put off! They are wonderful creatures I just haven't clipped their wings yet as wanted them to be a bit older first.. I'm sure as they get fatter the flying will not be possible anyway It hasn't happened that often and they always want to get back as very tame anyway. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
little jerry Posted November 4, 2008 Author Share Posted November 4, 2008 Dont be put off by chickens that can reach great hights. Florence the flyer is very friendly and loves to be picked up and cuddled.Shes just very inquisative and likes a good view.She started laying 1 week ago and is less interested in flying now. Ithink its a' teenage' phase they go through. Our younger chook [19 wks] has just began to show interest in strutting her stuff on top of the egloo run. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
moomin Posted November 5, 2008 Share Posted November 5, 2008 Phew, thanks guys, I'd set my heart on some bantams - especially Pekins or Plymouth Rocks. I just don't want to be going round the next door neighbours to pick my chooks up, especially since they put up some sort of 'Sound System' on the party wall a while ago and it was like Whitney Houston was actually in my lounge 24/7!! They took it down after we'd complained a few times but I have the strangest feeling my little chickens (when I get them) may possibly end up as Sunday roast if they were to stray over the fence!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
helenmb Posted November 6, 2008 Share Posted November 6, 2008 My Buff Mottled Leghorn can fly really high but she is the smallest and youngest. However, where we bought her from they kept turkeys and was amazed to see the turkeys flying. Not just the usual chicken type plummet but jumped onto a gate post and then flew off from it like a gobbledy chunky heron, and continued to fly down the lane before landing safely. both me and my DH stood with our mouths open. They also gobbled in unison (a bit like a turkey gobble wave) one starts and they all gobble together, I was gob(bble) smacked. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Paola Posted November 6, 2008 Share Posted November 6, 2008 My Buff Mottled Leghorn can fly really high but she is the smallest and youngest. However, where we bought her from they kept turkeys and was amazed to see the turkeys flying. Not just the usual chicken type plummet but jumped onto a gate post and then flew off from it like a gobbledy chunky heron, and continued to fly down the lane before landing safely. both me and my DH stood with our mouths open. They also gobbled in unison (a bit like a turkey gobble wave) one starts and they all gobble together, I was gob(bble) smacked. Fantastic Your descriptions had me in stitches Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...