Old Speckled Hen Posted December 15, 2008 Share Posted December 15, 2008 I must admit to being completely out of touch with young fashion these days as my daughter is now 23 and left home. I went to to London to see her last weekend and went shopping in Primark. There were legions of stooping hooded young men with their trousers under their bottoms, (how do they keep them up???) I felt quite despondent but grateful at the same time that I didn't own a 14 year old son. I felt VERY old Then we went to the pictures and there were six young girls the same age as these young lads and they were a revelation. They were all dressed in clashing colour tutus, tights, garters and stripy leggings and t shirts. I thought they were wonderful Such a contrast to those slouching monochrome boys. They sat at the back enjoyed the film and went on to Pizza express where they were equally well behaved. Bring on The Girls is all I can say. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted December 15, 2008 Share Posted December 15, 2008 Best tell Cinnamon that; one of her girls has just got a tutu. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted December 15, 2008 Share Posted December 15, 2008 Yep, a red one,but it was a pressie for her friend. They are very reasonable on ebay & Cleo might get one for her birthday Its right up her street Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Rhapsody Posted December 15, 2008 Share Posted December 15, 2008 It's very depressing that boy's clothes only come in funereal colours so much of what boys can or can't do/wear/like is governed by appearing as masculine and as opposite of feminine as possible. I'm pleased to report last week my eldest went riding (gasp) in a purple (bigger gasp) riding hat, but then he's a born rebel, no idea where he gets it from. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
fowlbird Posted December 16, 2008 Share Posted December 16, 2008 there was something on that children's programme on R4 last night about boys wearing dresses - I kept forgetting to listen but I gather the general opinion was that they should be allowed to but it won't really be acceptable for some years to come - why not? when I was a child it wasn't 'nice' for little girls to wear jeans/trousers but it's perfectly acceptable now - when will we free our young males from their standardised garb? mind you, I still wouldn't allow men to wear socks with shorts, especially khaki shorts with beige socks and smart shoes what's that all about? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted December 16, 2008 Share Posted December 16, 2008 Don't start me on that rant Rhapsody.. My sister only allows her son to wear certain colours and styles as others might just be too 'nancy' When he was about 2, ansd round playing dressing up wiith Rosie, he appeared in a pink fairy outfit of Rosie's (he loved it ), my sis whipped it off him quicker than you can say 'fairy' because she didn't want him to 'turn gay' you can imagine what I had to say about her behaviour... nedless to say, we barely see each other anyhow Wish I had the legs (and was 30 years younger) to get away with the tutu... run a distinct risk of looking a tad mutton if I wore it these days. Did anyone else go to Rocky Horror Shows dressed up? We used to go on the tube, comlete with basque, suspenders etc... and that was just the boys! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
fowlbird Posted December 16, 2008 Share Posted December 16, 2008 oh, Claret... I had much the same thing with (ex) son-in-law and granddaughter when the boys were small - youngest grandson wanted a buggy for his teddies so I bought him one - a nice manly BLUE one when he outgrew that he asked for a twin jogging buggy so I got him that - told everyone he was practising to be a good father there were many accusations of 'you'll turn him funny! but how else are boys to develop if we don't let them try out their caring, colourful side? Apart from anything else decision making starts with deciding what they like... my son spent practically the whole of his second year of life wearing a yellow Mothercare sleepsuit, a hat and carrying my old leather handbag and a union jack he's quite normal these days... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted December 16, 2008 Share Posted December 16, 2008 Sounds like he was practising to be a telly tubby! Rosie once painted Phil's finger nails sparkly pink while he was asleep - he liked it, so they stayed that way for a couple of days he didn't give a hoot! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted December 16, 2008 Share Posted December 16, 2008 Brian really annoyed me once when we were driving at night time down to my mums house. he asked for a lip balm, & I gave him a red lipstick He didn't even notice when he filled up at the petrol station I quite agree about people wearing what they want,when they want,whatever their gender,age or size. Life is too short to spend it being a sheep! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
fowlbird Posted December 16, 2008 Share Posted December 16, 2008 that's so true! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
kitbag Posted December 16, 2008 Share Posted December 16, 2008 Brian really annoyed me once when we were driving at night time down to my mums house.he asked for a lip balm, & I gave him a red lipstick He didn't even notice when he filled up at the petrol station I quite agree about people wearing what they want,when they want,whatever their gender,age or size. Life is too short to spend it being a sheep! Lol that made me laugh a lot!! I agree with you about life being too short! I have recently come to the conclusion that I shouldn't worry myself so much over what other people think!! Xxxxxxxx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...