katieD Posted December 27, 2008 Share Posted December 27, 2008 hi im very new to all this and got my three hens last week- they have been out in the run and around the garden, they have hardly eated any of the layers pellets from their grub feeder? was wondering if this is normal? how much should they eat? is this because they are eating other bits, grass etc? thanks all Katie x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted December 27, 2008 Share Posted December 27, 2008 They don't eat huge amounts until they come into lay, and then their appetites increase massively, so don't worry just yet. Don't over do it with the extras though as it will crowd out the good stuff. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted December 28, 2008 Share Posted December 28, 2008 When mine first came they only got through a grub in a week. They eat a lot more now. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Gallina Posted December 28, 2008 Share Posted December 28, 2008 I used to worry mine weren't eating enough, but the problem soon becomes the speed at which the sacks are emptied. And now that I have nine hens and two cockerels I get through a large sack of pellets every two weeks and wish they had daintier appetites! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chocchick Posted December 28, 2008 Share Posted December 28, 2008 My egg-laying chicken is moulting and stopped laying and I top up about weekly now. I didn't realise I was basically feeding one very fat chicken every day or so in order to get eggs (the 2nd hen has now stopped and the third is temperamental). Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
SnowWhite Posted December 28, 2008 Share Posted December 28, 2008 When we first got our girls they ate 6kgs of food a week. I know this because I would fill the 6kg feeder once, on a Saturday. That was when we had one layer. Now we have 4 and the same feeder is being filled up twice a week , and we've added more s"Ooops, word censored!"s to the diet too! We've just ordered a 15kg feeder in anticipation of the remaining four coming into lay! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...