Chooks Aloud

New owner needs help!

Hello all

I am collecting my Eglu and Chicks in a couple of weeks and would appreciate any help existing owners may be able to give me.

One of my worries is I know that rhubarb leaves are poisonous, do I need to stop the chicks eating these when I let them roam, or do they just leave them alone?

Any replies from anyone who has rhubarb in their garden would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Karen

I read on another forum that rhubarb leaves are sometimes eaten by chickens as a diy worming measure :? I have no idea whether or not that's true, but I can tell you for sure that my hens completely ignored my rhubarb leaves for ages, they ate everything else in sight.... literally, but I got fooled into a bit of false security along the lines of "at least the rhubarb'll be fine :? ", and then they struck.... rhubarb leaves chomped away. Like you I worried along the lines of whether they might have poisoned themselves on them, and stumbled by chance on this thread on the grow your own forum. I'll see if I can find a link for it.

This is the thread where I found the rhubarb leaf comments, http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine/showthread.php?t=608

Just in case any of you have any time to surf yet more forums :wink:

It's an interesting place to visit though.... I only guest there from time to time, but have picked up some useful tips on gardening and chicken keeping.

Oh, and I forgot to say that my hens showed absolutely no ill effects from their rhubarb leaf feast. They have been wormed again since though.... just in case :wink:

Mine eat rhubarb leaves too - they started before I wormed them and seem to have developed a taste for it since chomping through the rest of my veggies! Good job I have a number of thriving crowns!

Niether hen suffered any ill effects... except for may be making them even more precocious :roll: