Closed Forum

Although I can understand why you have decided to make your forum closed, I do think it's a little short sighted. Okay so you don't want any iffy postings but what about a forum that non-eglu owners can view without posting? There are plenty of us around who are interested in the eglu but for one reason or another don't or can't have one. Being able to sign in as a guest for a week is okay, but you only get an eglu snapshot. Just a thought!

Hi Guest

This is a trial at the moment just to see how it goes so your comments are appreciated.

James did ask via a topic on forum what we all wanted to do. I think some of us were a bit wary after some very adverse comments on other sites where the subjct of the Eglu caused many heated comments and became quite nasty. Some of these have now been deleted from the other sites so it is difficult for others to appreciate just how heated things became.

We have had no nastiness from allowing people access for a trial one week so perhaps it is time for a new poll.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know - if you want to send me your email address I can keep in contact and let you know if things change?

Lesley

Will do but how do I do it without letting the whole world know? Sorry but a bit cautious about giving my details out even with addressguard.

Hello Guest, Well, this way it encourages any hesitant wouldbe owners to go ahead & order after 1 week! Interesting to hear your comments though. :D

Also, from the other point of view, it does feel safer posting on this forum knowing that only other egluowners or potential ones, have access. I would not want to be broadcasting to the whole WWW :shock: , this just feels more personal. Its such a friendly forum we wouldn't want to jeopardise the very enjoyable atmosphere.

Do hope you will be in a position to officially come & join us! :D

My feeling is more to do with the chicken and eglu owning side.Its a sort of eglu club really, maybe there could be an eglu appreciation forum.

Seriously ou can get membership if you speak to the guys before delivery and to be honest you can ask a million questions once they arrive and Johannes book is out which is really good.

It's great for us all to natter about all sorts of things, eglu, chicken or whatever and perhaps if it's open something would be lost, I just don't know.

I don't want to be a spoil sport but I just think its all about the ownership and other poultry sites are more general. It's just my opinion and to be honest I don't suppose i'd use this forum unless I bought the girls and my eglu but this is quite a special place for me, yep because we all have the same thing in common.

That's it so i guess I do think it should be closed, nothing at all personal. It's nice to have different opinions.

bx

I've been on the phone all morning dealing with some serious stuff and my mouth is all loosened up!

That's another point, I think the chickens and this forum are like getting in from work, ok I work at home, and having a G and T and putting your dodgy slippers on :oops::oops:.

Have I stuck my kneck out too far?? Back me up that I'm not a rebel. The majority will decide and I'll support it.

Off to take my katie out and get some supplies!

Bx :wink:

I'm having a pro active year, just phoned the eating disorders association and told them just that.

They've been lovely and asked me to submit a piece for their magazine on women with eating disorders and feeding their children.

We can do anything we want to, oh except stop the torential rain that's just started! :evil:

Bx :wink:

It's not that I don't trust you!! But I had to change my e-mail address recently as I got so fed up with all the junk I was sent, so I'm a bit more cautious now. The email button doesn't want to work for me as a guest I'm afraid. Anyway, my address is (I've deleted it for privacy - Lesley)

Can't join your club I'm afraid as I already have too many chickens and an ark I am very impressed with. But I am nosey and like to see / read what else is about. Who knows, if I had net curtains and neighbours, I might not feel the urge to see what the rest of the world is up to!!!!

You've got your Ark and tchickens that's great, we'd bore you with our rantings of eglu living probably. Arks look nice, the one's with wheels are cute.

So the truth is out, this was all about eglu twitching, eglu's with nets, that could be a new idea!! :lol:

bx :wink:

Guest - I have taken your email address - I will see what is happening and keep you informed.

Having looked back, I think that a week does give a very informed 'snapshot' and as the reason for allowing limited access is so that interested people can make an informed decision whether to buy an Eglu or not, then I can't see a problem.

There are other sites for general poultry info. - this one just happens to be for Eglu Owners and I would imagine it has very limited appeal to people who do not own an Eglu. Limited access allows people to research further.

We ordered ours from an advert in a magazine - and with no other info. or research 8)

Same here, Lesley and I love the club atmosphere as Buffie says. It IS a club for Eglu owners and I like that. We've had unfair personal comments made about our choice of chicken coop on other sites and we don't want that here - open it up to the world and we may lose the unique, friendly family atmosphere. You can read every single post on this forum and not find one incidence where other coops have been criticised, in fact, you can read every single posting here and find nothing unpleasant at all - how many other forums can you say the same thing about.?

A week is ample time to ask the questions you have if you are thinking about buying an Eglu.

Oh dear, Sarah. Sorry you feel upset by the guest posting. I'm very naive, I admit it, but I didn't feel that it was stirring up ill feeling. I totally agree that this forum has to stay closed so we don't have a repeat of the "Ooops, word censored!"iness that was thrown our way on certain other forums but I do like the fact that prospective Eglu owners can visit the forum for a week to ask whatever questions they need to ask before taking the plunge and placing an order.

I really hope this forum always remains exclusively for Eglu owners. It's a club, after all. A support unit for likeminded friends.

I think the point here was that someone wasn't being open about using the forum. I think there was a hidden agenda, not a seriously :twisted: one but someone had chickens and an ark and really just wanted to wind us up? Tease? who knows. Entertainment or genuinely just checking all this out. Maybe just inquisitive.

We all like to be part of a nice group but I wouldn't expect to be part of a mini owners forum but own a ford fiesta.

I not sure this is the place to suck it and see, I ordered and researched via the internet and spoke to the omlet team, yep bored them to tears no doubt with questions and look at my posts early on. Bored you all too with my excitement (still am) and fears etc. You don't purchase the forum but the eglu and girls (sometimes), this is part of that deal. I didn't assume I should have access as I realised as an adult I had to make my own decision and prepare. Owning any animal needs preparation and you all were so helpful it was so very easy.

Any probs now I just ask for help.

1 week may be no prob but does it change the atmosphere in the forum. We are already wasting valuable energy worrying about this so I still think the forum is an owner/ nearly owner place.

Why else would the guide be available for everyone to read, that's as much as you need to know and the team are always at the end of the telephone.

Bx

Right, let me say this now. If there are ANY unpleasant, abusive or upsetting postings by guests, they WILL be moderated. Lesley, Jane and I are here most of the time, reading all the postings and keeping an eye on the situation. If any of us consider that anything untoward has been posted with the intention of upsetting our members, they WILL be removed.

I've already said that in my opinion the guest posting wasn't offensive - certainly not to the extent that we've had to put up with on other forums but if anyone does find anything that is posted upsetting please PM me, Lesley or Jane and we will deal with it.

We do not want the atmosphere on this forum to deteriorate. We do not want our members upset either. Anyone rocking the boat will be dealt with - and that goes for registered members too.

Edited by Guest

Totally trust that would be the situation and lets bring some nice calm to the forum eh?

We have stated our case and nothing dreadful has happened, it's good to be able to express, another good point to the forum! :wink:

Bx