bridgy chooks

Our girls are settling in! But will we get eggs?

It was ages ago now but I put a post on back in July about having light sussex in an eglu - thanks for all your responses :o)

We have had Gabbi and Maggi for 3 weeks now - Gabbi is a speckled sussex and Maggi is a light sussex and they have settled in very well to their purple eglu. They are both around 21 weeks old now. Maggi's comb has got very red - does anyone know if she/they will lay this year as some people are saying that as they hatched fairly late they may not lay until next Spring now?

Will post some pics in the gallery if anyone is interested.

Thanks

Bridgy chooks

(purple eglu)PP(white chicken)

:D:D:D

We LOVE seeing photos of new chooks, so get posting!

I got new chickens this time last year, both only about 15 weeks by this time, and both started laying before the winter break started. If Maggis' comb is very red, then it sounds like she is getting ready to start laying - does she squat when you go near her - that's another sure sign!

Oooooh, maybe Chutney might lay an egg soon then! I noticed her comb was looking very red today...the other two still have pale pink combs....only thing is, how will I know which one laid it? :wink:

After the anticipation of the first week of eglu ownership, when we checked every half hour for eggs :lol: I've semi-forgotten that's what the chickens are here for.....they are SO entertaining that I'm not all that bothered if they ever lay!

Sophie

Maggi's comb has got very red - does anyone know if she/they will lay this year as some people are saying that as they hatched fairly late they may not lay until next Spring now?

nahhh... they could start anytime - mine both started on boxing day..

the red comb is a good sign - a surer sign is if they start "squatting" when you approach them... (especially if you put both arms out an make like a cockerell!)

fingers crossed!

Phil