Lesley

Take Your Chicken to Work Day?

Lesley Kate I was thinking the same thing mine are coming to work anyway but they might not stay very long. I am sure they will both get covered in paint. I have bought a very large tin of sweetcorn to keep them busy while hubby takes the photograph, not sure what it will look like he is hopeless with a camera. :D:D

• Omlet Staff

Hi,

Sorry that I have be rather delayed in writing the rules - we are starting to get the christmas rush for chickens!

Anyhow... the rules are simple.

1) You must take your chicken(s) to an office or place of work. If you don't have an office then you must take the chicken to a building with the word 'office' in it. I.e. the post office.

2) This mustn't be somewhere you live. Home offices aren't allowed (Take note Lesley)

3) Finally you must put a photo in the gallery of you and the chicken.

4) Email itookmychickentowork@omlet.co.uk and claim your free t-shirt.

Notes:

Schools and nurseries qualify.

Don't you pick on me :wink: I know you know what our home office looks like! We are going to inflict our incontinent chicken on an unsuspecting client :lol:

Kate's already gone to bed as she's poorly, hope she finds your message before taking photos of her girls dusting - that's work as well James :roll:

Lesley

Well tomorrow should be good fun my two may be threatened with the pot if they poo all over the newly renovated house that goes on the market in five days time the rush is on to finish it so I hope Babs & Ginger don't hold me up too much.

Taking a chicken to the post office could be fun :D:D:D

James,

Your rules are TOUGH! I'm hoping you'll take pity on me because I'm too poorly to go out to the post office for a photo today :cry::cry: ! I think I definitely deserve pity for being brave enough to take a photo of myself at death's door and post it in the gallery!

Anyway, who says working at home isn't working! Bet I work up more of a sweat than you do :wink: !

Cheers!

:D heres post No 100 :!::!: . Just back from Nursery where Ginger was an absolute .... STAR :P . She was really good and let the kids stroke her, and just made chicken noises quietly, and scoffed her lettuce and sweetcorn. The kids loved it .. and the teachers yesterdays fresh !egg! 's.

Will try and get Pepper in the office with Bens homework .. and will put up pics when Graham gets home to dwnload them.

I think the Nursery now want Ginger as the official "Little Red Hen"!. So there will be a few more trips there for her .. talk about a working bird! :lol:

Sarah

James e-mailed me to say I qualify although I might get a visit from the RSPCA re: making chickens do the hoovering! He's a good sport!

Love all the photos so far and I can't wait to see what else appears on the gallery! Congratulations to everyone who gets a T-shirt! It'll be worth the effort (and the clearing up afterwards!!)

Well - that was interesting! I don't think I will do it again in a hurry.

I don't go out to work either - am mostly a housewife/mother/chauffeur - you know the sort of thing. However, when I saw that taking the chickens to school qualified I took up the challenge and took both Millie PP and Diane PP to my younger daughter's school at 3.00 as part of my day's 'work'.

This first involved trying to get both of them in a box at a time when they were very happy pottering round the garden and were more interested in what that had to offer than any manner of treats. Not an easy task. I then had to drive to school and find a legal and suitable parking space. I normally cycle, but decided that really would have been a challenge too far.) You have to remember that I live close to central London, and my daughter is at school in Islington - a very urban state Primary school full of kids who have never seen a chicken and certainly don't associate them with the sort of eggs that you might eat.

Although I had cleared it with the teachers concerned and Isabel was expecting me, there was a hysteria in the air when I arrived and interrupted a session on felt wallet-making. I had a quiet talk with the children and asked them not to make too much noise, and not to worry of the hens flapped a bit, and not to run wild and chase them. I let the girls out and the children screamed, ran around, shouted 'it's a chicken', 'look it's done a poo' (hardly surprising under the circumstances) and both birds flapped about and refused to be caught. Many of the children were genuinely terrified and stood by the door in a bid to escape. Isabel and I eventually managed to catch Millie and Diane and took a couple of photos - I will post these later when Matt comes back (technically imcompetent, although I did at last manage an image by my name!). Hope these will count.

Getting the chickens back into the box was another 3 act opera as they decided that actually they quite liked it at school, especially after the tin of sweetcorn was opened.

Neither of them have laid today (they seem to be cutting down a little at the moment), and I wouldn't be surprised if this experience put them off altogether. Hope not, but I won't be repeating it in a hurry.

However - Even though some of the children were afraid, and others were just silly, i think it was probably a good thing for them to see live chickens, and the staff really enjoyed them.

Karen

Hi Karen you have just cheered me up :D:D I could not stop laughing my daughter also wanted me to take the girls to school but I feared what you have just confirmed would happen, girls running around screaming. although we live in a farming community most children have not seen a chicken close up. Hope yours start laying again soon.

Great fun isn't it, trying to get them in the box. We gave up and just took one with us - the greediest! . Tallulah will do anything for sweetcorn or probably any food (including wering the dolls nappy!)

We had no 'poos' but she started making her egg-laying noise in the box on the way home! As soon as she was let out she zoomed into the Eglu and laid.

Lesley