Lesley

Birmingham

And now there are threats in Birmingham :(

Thousands evacuated and City Centre closed. There has been a controlled explosion on a bus but it is not being linked to the London atrocities at the moment.

Let's hope it is just a scare or hoax and all will be well.

This is how the terrorists work, isn't it - make everyone scared to go out and stop following their usual routines. No actual bombs, just the threat of them. That's why they call them terrorists :( .

Glad nothing happened in Birmingham but I suspect that this will become a way of life for a while just like in the days of the IRA. Mass evacuation because Granny left her shopping on the bus :( .

Not this Granny :? - remember, I don't even know how to catch the bus anymore!

I'm glad it was just a scare and inconvenient more than anything - warm weather for walking home :roll:

And I've just heard from my sister - Hurricane Dennis missed them and went over Cuba, they just had the edge of it which is like a very bad storm.

They had just set the garden up for their two year olds Birthday Party when the heavens opened and they had to drag the Bouncy Castle back into the house - in the dark because they are all boarded up! At least I know they are all safe.

Phew, I'm glad for you & your sister, Lesley.

Terrorist campaigns are just sick. I wouldn't like the job of deciding on which threats to evacuate and which not. There must be hundreds we don't even know about. I don't think its coincidence that some commuters travelling overland to King's Cross from St.Albans were delayed for over 2 hours early morning on Thursday.

I always tell my children when they are fearful about "baddies" of any sort; Just remember, there is far more good in the world than bad. Enjoy the goodness, be part of it. 8) Its a hard thought to hang on to or even believe sometimes. But, its a good plan. Along with not having any newspapers or watching news! I just listen once or twice a day but then switch off all the speculation etc. You can overdose on bad news!!

Isn't it a strange feeling. Enormous worldwide issues causing fear and worry. But, at the same time, personal fears & worries are still there...family problems/work/health or even washing machines, neighbours & bindweed! :twisted:

I think the best approach is to tackle the immediate, local/personal problems & deal with them. Do what you can towards climate, inequality & injustice. Then put them all out of your mind for the other 23 hours!

Aren't chickens great for this!?

Meanwhile, I do think having a thread or 2 to post on these subjects is important; hope I haven't given the impression that I'm against it. Its just I'm such a "motherhen" I want to take away everyone's worries! I know I have rose-tinted spectacles (not all the time :( ) but we only have one life (?) so let's make the most of it!

Lots of motherly hugs & positive thoughts to you all! xx :lol:

Well said Sheila, I was just about to post a reply but you have put it so much better than me.................. :D:D:D

Lesley glad that you and your sister are Ok I am sure the children enjoyed the bouncy castle inside just as much........I love bouncing around on them....... :lol::lol:

:shock::shock: Oh no! I'm really scared of bouncy castles :?(Aha, you thought I was fearless? :wink: )

:P For me? Too wobbly, & all that falling over! & watching, terrifying. Had to supervise 2 hours at school fair once...I could hardly watch, a really long two hours. I just wanted to say just one at a time please...but with 20 on & queue longer than facepainting, couldn't really. :wink:

Oh, forgot to add builders to list of daily problems to be endured & overcome! :twisted:

I think the bouncy castle was deflated at the time and just dragged into the house so not much fun Nicola. :lol: I used to love them as well but could only go on them on my own so I could control the bounce - same with trampolines - due to old knee operation. I can't do either now at all since the latest injury :( I love trampolines and was going to buy one of the big ones when the land sale went through :?

Very well said Sheila - just do what we can really - and builders do add to the stress levels :lol::lol:

I broke my wrist on my son's 3rd birthday party bouncy castle, and I wasn't even bouncing! Imy who was maybe 18m old at the time clambered on it, then stood and screamed in panic at the motion of the thing. Being busy setting prior to the first guests arriving I jumped onto it, intending to pick her up and turn round smoothly, and get off. Instead I lost my balance and fell, saving us by sticking out my right hand to break the fall :oops:

Imy was fine, but I spent the entire party in agony, watching my wrist swell. Had to get a friend to cut the cake, and once it was all over hubby was summoned home from work pronto to help clear up & get me to A&E for an x-ray. Needless to say I'm not a big fan of bouncy castles either.

I agree entirely with your sentiments about not worrying needlessly about things you can't do anything about Sheila. I've got to admit I don't always find it easy, being a bit of a worrier my nature, but I find it easier to just do what I can do, and try to keep the rest in perspective.