shiney

Where can I buy feed in sheffield?

Hi, I have had my 2 girls for a week now and nicked some food off my friend to get started with. I live in Crookes, Sheffield and can't seem to find anywhere that sells food for them, don't mind travelling a bit, just want to get all my supplies from one place. Any ideas?

Shiney,

You may possibly be the luckiest person in the world. Horse and Rider in Crookes sells feed from stock ot you can order the allen and page stuff. they order 3 days per week and is usually within 48 hours. Their smallholder layer pelets are the ones I use for the bantams. They also do garlic,limestone flour,gentian spray... I am just down the road and if you need any stuff give me a bell. Everything seems to come in tubs that last 5 or so years...

Cheers

We ought to have a Sheffield Knees Up.

Quite a few Omleteers from all over the country are meeting on 25th April at the **course** at Whirlow Hall Farm. We are going to the cafe later at Dore Moor Nursery. Why not join us.

We'll be easy to find. Just follow the sound of laughter and the trail of feathers.

Hello Ted & Egluntine

Think I will be bugging you both for a while until I know what I am doing. went to Horse & Rider (thanks Ted) ordered my grit, got the corn and some brill plastic feed bins.

Just getting worried about letting my 2 hens out, going to keep them in the run until they become more tame but I have concerns about them getting out. Their wings are cut but unsure how much difference this will make. They could easily get to the wall which has a 4-5 foot drop at the other side, would they be so daft as to jump off? Bet I know the answer! If you see a chook stuck to the front of the no. 52 bus then it will be one of mine! Mine are ISA Browns by the way (means nowt to me).

Have noticed people on omlet saying their hens were got by a fox, any ideas if this is thru the eglu/run or would it be when they were free range?

Flaming hens, nowt but a worry! No wonder I have bags under my eyes.

We ought to have a Sheffield Knees Up.

Quite a few Omleteers from all over the country are meeting on 25th April at the **course** at Whirlow Hall Farm. We are going to the cafe later at Dore Moor Nursery. Why not join us.

We'll be easy to find. Just follow the sound of laughter and the trail of feathers.

Good idea... nice one about the trail of feathers ... given the course!! What time will you be there??

Hello Ted & Egluntine

Think I will be bugging you both for a while until I know what I am doing. went to Horse & Rider (thanks Ted) ordered my grit, got the corn and some brill plastic feed bins.

Just getting worried about letting my 2 hens out, going to keep them in the run until they become more tame but I have concerns about them getting out. Their wings are cut but unsure how much difference this will make. They could easily get to the wall which has a 4-5 foot drop at the other side, would they be so daft as to jump off? Bet I know the answer! If you see a chook stuck to the front of the no. 52 bus then it will be one of mine! Mine are ISA Browns by the way (means nowt to me).

Have noticed people on omlet saying their hens were got by a fox, any ideas if this is thru the eglu/run or would it be when they were free range?

Flaming hens, nowt but a worry! No wonder I have bags under my eyes.

You could let them out just before bedtime for a short time as they will automatically go back in when its time for sleep. Keep your corn treat back for this time and try and feed from your hand. Then just watch them for a bit and see how they get on. I think that they are a cross bred Rhode island red which are not known as flighty... You could also put some chicken wire up on top of the wall ???

Pretty sure also with clipped wings they will not get high enough off the ground...

Dont worry they will be fine...

If you do want I can pop around and have a look...

Cheers

Hi neil

Thanks for that. If you are around one evening next week would you mind popping over for a look, don't want to trouble you though. We'd appreciate any advice!

Been to the woods today and got some logs to put in the run, the chooks love it and keep jumping on them and eating bugs out of them. I was going to mix my corn into my pellets - 2/3rds pellets and 1/3rd corn but you said you feed them corn at night so I guess i shouldn't do this? Could I mix grit & oystershell together and leave it it the run for them or should I leave them seperate?

Seen your hennies having a dust bath in the photos, do you use sand? is it special sand and where do you get it from? I have got a small belfast sink that I want to use for mine to have a bath in but its sat empty as I don't know what to put in it. I have bought and read 2 books on chicken keeping but i'm still no wiser!

Logs are a great idea. Mine love them. I would def keep pellets in run all time and feed corn as treats later. You will find the effort you take mixing them is undone in a bout 30 seconds as they pick through the pellets to get at the corn anyway... I will PM you ref popping round.

Cheers