Budgies

Hormonal implants to impede egg laying?

thanks everyone for all your kind words. I'm missing my girls dreadfully - we've dismantled the run but I still cry when I look out the window and my cute fluffy girls aren't there! It's incredible how much a part of our lives they become with all their sweet antics.

The hardest part now is that my vet has recommended that I assume at least one the girls had an infectious illness. So whilst I'd like to rush out and buy more beautiful ladies, the recommendation is to wait at least a month and to thoroughly disinfect everything in the meantime.

She suggested something like F10 disinfectant which is what DEFRA suggest chicken farmers use.

Thanks Sheila and Buffie, I only wish it could have been a happier ending! RIP my little ladies. xx

Sorry to hear it. I don't know how I missed this thread. I have had a few with sterile peritonitis, (in fact Tikka, one of my original Omlet girls has it at the moment) and have had them drained and treated with antibiotics. The eventual outcome is always the same unfortunately.

Do get some more chickens when you feel up to it. A garden is very empty without them.

Thanks Eglutine. Well we're now planning to build a walk in run so there'll be no stopping us!

I still miss my girls but having a plan for some newbies gives me a focus and it makes me feel a bit better!

Will enjoy sharing my new arrivals with you all when we get them!