Budgies

Hormonal implants to impede egg laying?

Hi, I used to be around these parts loads, but having had our girls for 3 years I've been on here far less lately!

Unfortunately I now have a pretty bad problem - one of our hens has developed egg peritonitis, as confirmed by our vet today.

We have two choices, one is to put her to sleep (because giving them antibiotics and hoping they will recover has not proved to work) or some pioneering new treatment of putting a hormonal implant under her skin to eventually prevent her laying eggs.

in the meantime, she would need antibiotics, painkillers with anti-inflammatory properties and possibly liquid syringed out of her each time an unformed egg goes the wrong way.

I know they use this procedure in dogs and in ferrets and apparently my vet is treating a duck at the moment in the same way.

Just wondered if anyone else had experience of similar?

Apparently it has been done elsewhere, but not by my vets at the moment.

Phew, long post, thanks in advance for any replies

Budgies x

sounds interesting - I sometimes feel sorry for my ex-batts and their constant egg laying, it would be a good solution to give them a rest?

but have never heard or experienced this - sorry, hopefull someone will come along who knows more.

s

I am a bit confused, by the diagnosis & prognosis. I thought it was sterile peritonitis that need draining, and there are a couple of people I think that have girls with this and treat it successfully.

I do know that one of my 1st ex bats got it after only 3 weeks. The vet I took her took didn't think she would make it. I was too new, didn't know what was happening SHOULD HAVE GONE SOONER but she was given a liquid food, Metacam (anti inflam ) injection, antibiotic and pills for me to give. She recovered, went on to be my biggest fattest meanest Head girl until she had to be PTS 10 months later due to a really nasty bacterial infection.

there was the most foul stuff poohed out, def better out than in.

So please don't PTS without waiting for our more experienced people to come along & put us straight

We lost Pen the hen to sterile perionitis - some chooks can respond very well to treatment, others don't. Pen was initially doing very well; she had her abdomen drained, then put onto baytril. But by Saturday night (the last night of a 10 day course), she was already going downhill again. Monday morning back to the vets and her abdomen had started to fill with muck again.

Having said that, other people advised me that some chooks go on to live for some months afterwards - it really is going to depend ho she responds.

You will know in your heart what is best for her.

Regards

Thanks all for taking the time to reply.

I really don't know if it's called "sterile peritonitis" and will check with the vet tonight.

Basically my wee girl has been laying eggs every day or every other day throughout her 3 years and suddenly stopped laying two weeks ago.

The eggs are going the wrong way before getting their shells and are causing a build up of fluid which is restricting her breathing (her laboured breathing yesterday was what alerted me to something being awry). They put a camera inside her then drained off 15 mls fluid.

The vet said that in her experience the fluid continues to build over time, coming in ever increasing amounts in shorter and shorter time spans, and she also said that it was one of the most painful things for a chicken to have.

I need to ask more questions, but your responses are vastly helpful in making me formulate those questions, so do please continue to give me your experiences and opinions.

And hugs for those of you who've had to make such awful decisions about your wee girls - it's incredibly tough eh?

sounds like sterile peritonitis to me. Signs are puffed up undercarriage, red bum, waddling like John Wayne, struggling to breath when lying down and purple comb when lying down.

Our old girl Ella has had it way over 18months or so now, she gave us her last egg just before Christmas. She leads a pretty normal chook life but this time of the year is always the worst for the fluid build up because it is peak laying season. Ella is much better and has no fluid build up in the winter.

We have never had her drained, however she did accidently drain this year when she had an accident (ruptured bowel) which then followed a 6 week course of baytril.

Vets dont usually recommend draining, its a touch and go situation.

We did ask our vet about giving a treatment to prevent her laying and we were told they dont do that anymore. :(

I am a bit confused, by the diagnosis & prognosis. I thought it was sterile peritonitis that need draining,

You can have it drained Sandy but it is not normally recommended by vets as it no longer stays "sterile" once the vet has pierced/entered the skin therefore allowing the infection to set in and its no longer sterile peritonitis, then unfortunately can sometimes result in the death of the hen. :(

Thanks for all your replies.

She was in rude health yesterday, I had her home for the day and she was doing all her normal things, including trying to fly, jumping up, eating loads and pecking etc. No signs of distress at all.

For that reason I've gone for the hormonal implant.

She had it inserted into her breast muscle last night.

She's on no other meds right now, although she has had an antibiotic in case of infection from the drain and the implant.

We'll see how things go with her, and let you know.

Anyone have any information about whether feeding layers meal actually induces the egg laying process, or does it just support a chicken who is in lay? I'm wondering if I should change her food until the implant kicks in.

:D Hi Budgies, good to see you! Is it Mango or Chutney who's had the implant? I do hope it's successful and it's been really interesting to hear about this possible solution.

Also, I've learnt a lot about this condition. Even though I've discussed this here and with a vet, I had no idea about the unformed egg causing it, I just knew they stopped laying, it makes sense now.

My vet said Penny either had this or tumours, both seem common in hybrids, and I didn't find out which as she said the prognosis would be the same.

We made the decision to see how she got along, and I would nurse her but have her PTS if the pain seemed to outweigh the quality of life. She went on for months having periods of good health in between flare ups. The last time she went downhill I decided that another day would be too much like this. I spent the morning with her and planned the PTS for the evening but she "fell asleep" sunbathing on the lawn in the afternoon.

So, we seem to be learning a lot here by sharing experiences, do keep us posted Budgies!

I'd be interested in the name too :D And do you mind me asking how much the implant cost ?

Does it needd to be replaced every so often? I know that they do in humans and other animals, but it may be several years and outlive the life of the chicken.

Well, my vet says that layers meal only supports a chicken that is laying eggs and doesn't actually encourage egg laying. she said the only thing that sometimes goes awry is that the calcium content which is designed to help them form the egg shells sometimes falls to the bottom of the pack, so could do with a mix if given to egg layers.

The implant is called Suprelorin and is not licensed for use in chickens. It was £50. As to whether it would need replacing - no-one knows yet, it's all too new. It has been used on ferrets and needs replacing after about 2 years, but birds do things faster so it could need to be replaced sooner. However, as my lady is 3.5 already I'm not worrying about that part of it yet!

She's been on good form again today and is settling down with a nice full crop.

Thanks guys!

Unfortunately, Mango has just filled back up with fluid. Although she's doing fairly normal things some of the time, you can see her discomfort when trying to rest, she keeps moving around. Also yesterday evening the tips of her comb were purple, which hadn't happened previously.

In my opinion it's not fair of us to expect her to have to have fluid drained every couple of days for the two or three weeks it will probably take for the implant to start to have an effect.

To cap it all, our other wee girl, Chutney has an undiagnosed blockage and can't eat or drink. She too has been at the vets and yesterday we had them both at home with us, but she's looking very poorly too now, despite the syringing water and medication to get her crop working again etc.

So I'm going to book in both my wee ladies to have them put to sleep later today. I'm absolutely heartbroken!

Thanks for all your comments and questions, I'm just sorry it couldn't have turned out better!