Ness3103

Hi newbie needing advice please

i've been wanting to get chickens for a year now and have finally been given the money as a birthday pressie :) i originally was going to put my eglu on my lawn and just move it around so the grass wasn't too damaged but after having a nose around the forum at all the wonderful pictures i want to give them a bit more space. my garden's quite small but i have a patch at the back near our fence that is overgrown and never used so i'm going to put them there. the only thing i'm worried about is that i have honeysuckle growing all over the fence, and a beautiful camelia tree. would it harm the chickens if they eat either of these flowers? also once i've cleared the site would i need to put wood chippings down or can they go on just the earth?

i'm so excited and am planning on getting a (eglu lilac) and GNRPP(white chicken) but i want to make sure that i get everything prepared properly for them.

oo one more :?: do omlet provide the (white chicken) or would i have to get that somewhere else because i'd like them all to come at the same time.

sorry about all the :?: but i'm soooo excited

Ness

xx

Hi Ness and welcome to the forum.

You need to be within 2 hours drive of Omlet for chicken delivery. I got my hybrids at the same time as my eglu from Omlet. Put your postcode in their website to check. Link here:

http://omlet.co.uk/misc/van_delivery_check.php

The chickens probably won't touch your camillia or honeysuckle. Unless the camillia is tiny and likely to be jumped on.

My chickens have a free range area fenced off just for them in my garden. I don't have any bark down. Unless you are meaning the eglu run area, in which case you may want to put something down to soak up poops. I use Auboise horse bedding and put a cover over the run to keep it dry.

Hello Ness and welcome to the forum :D . If you do get 2 chickens from Omlet (if you're in the right area) and you want another breed too, just try to get her the same day or as soon as you can and they should all settle in together OK.

Your planned site sounds perfect - if it's soil, you can just add the bedding on top :) . I use Easibed and have used Hemcore too, both of which are brilliant for drying up the poop.

You can get them at any equine supplies store (which kind of bedding depends on the shop!)

Try putting your postcode in here for Hemcore (although it's quite pricey up here now :? ) or here for Easibed.

Aubiose has a number you can call.

You shouldn't expect to pay more than £6 or 7 for a bale which will last you months (depending on your run size!)

Ness, try doing an internet search for equine or horse Tack shops. Auboise (french brand) and Hemcore (UK brand) are both hemp based horse bedding. I found a Tack shop 1 mile from where I live that I never knew was there before I got chickens and did a search. My Tack shop sells chicken food too so it makes life much easier for me.

You shouldn't expect to pay more than £6 or 7 for a bale which will last you months (depending on your run size!)

Blimey ANH...... I need to move to Scotland. I bought a bale of Auboise last Wednesday for ...... wait for it.......... £10.50 :shock: It was £8 two years ago but just keeps going up and up.

Ness, try doing an internet search for equine or horse Tack shops. Auboise (french brand) and Hemcore (UK brand) are both hemp based horse bedding. I found a Tack shop 1 mile from where I live that I never knew was there before I got chickens and did a search. My Tack shop sells chicken food too so it makes life much easier for me.

Blimey ANH...... I need to move to Scotland. I bought a bale of Auboise last Wednesday for ...... wait for it.......... £10.50 :shock: It was £8 two years ago but just keeps going up and up.

I'm in Woking - and Hemcore is cheap here to.... Bale of Hemcore and a sack of food - total is £12. Great little place where they load your car up for you too!