Popcorn

Taking clippings

I've got a lovely passion flower creeping up the side of my house.

I want to take a clipping so I can grow some up a spare bit of fence in the garden.

Now, I know this is a fairly simple thing to do, but can anyone advise me on how to do it properly please, so I can grow a nice new healthy one ?

Thank you :)

Errr - try a book? For reading about clippings not for pressing them or growing them in :roll:

Actually my Mum had green hands and toes and she took clippings of everything by sticking bits in jam jars of water on her kitchen windowsill. When they had lots of roots they got planted - she made it look so easy.

Thats the technique I use Jane plus I put a few cuttings in rooting powder into soil and let them take their chances. I find that taking the cutting and rooting it at a growing point (where the leaves form) seems to work best but I have never done this with veggies before :?:

I'm not entirely sure about cuttings either as I've pretty much always used the glass-of-water-on-the-kitchen-windowsill technique as well, which my mum and my grandma both used to do. With geraniums I just strip off the bottom leaves, clip off the flowers and stick 'em straight in the garden and water them. They look dead for a week and then suddenly you see new little green leaves that shows it's grown new roots. I remember doing that in biology at school a very long time ago :shock: We had to stick lots of softwood cuttings in a pot, water them well, and then cover them with a clear plastic bag with a couple of small holes cut in the top, to create a mini greenhouse effect. We did geraniums and pelargoniums, daisies, lavender and rosemary that way. I grew a clematis from a cutting last year - more by luck than anything else - using much the same method, but attempted to be a little less cavalier about it! It's probably worth trying for a passion flower as well if you're prepared to experiment...

I'd take a couple of pieces if you can - probably about 12-16cm long and making sure they're green rather than woody (or else you will need rooting powder). Use sharp secateurs or a very sharp penknife so you have a clean diagonal cut. Strip off any leaves so you have about 5cm bare from the end to the lowest set of leaves, and then plonk (carefully) into a pot with clean compost. I use terracotta pots on the basis that they heat up in the sun and retain their heat more effectively than plastic, to help keep the temperature more even. Water well and cover in a plastic bag secured round the pot with a strong elastic band (or string). punch a couple of small holes in the top of the bag to let the old air escape! My guess is that they should take about 4 weeks or so to take root.

Hope that helps...

Anna - thankyou :)

I really had no idea at all :roll:

I'll let you know how it goes. I might even take some pics of the progress.

The passion flower is very healthy and well established, so hopfeully it's offspring will be the same!

Thanks again xx

Good luck, Gina. Let us know how it goes.

I know they are half-hardy and like full sun and well-frained soil. My mum had one growing up the side of our brick garage and we used to get loads of fruit off it. She always swore it was because she used to empty the remainder of the teapot over its base every morning...