Ducks can be rubbish mothers but they usually would come back to where it was left. If it was found near a pond or whoever picked it up perhaps try to take it back to the place to see if its mother is looking for it?? Shame it got picked up.

Often Mallards will abandon one duckling however we have had singles survive in the wild on their own as long as it can be pretty safe on a pond with lots of bugs..etc

How big is it?? If you measure it from bill to tail and let me know will guesstimate its age for you , it takes about 7-8 weeks for a duckling to reach adult and fly

pic would be good too

indie

it is at a marina, there are lots of seaguls and mink about so i know it would not survive, the boy found it in the water on its own, it is very quiet, i have wrapped it in a soft cloth to keep it warm.

i have got a broody lamp at home, so i thought i would put it under that, and get some chick crumbs, how would i get water into it.

sarah

I would just make some soppy chick crumbs and see how you go..lamp is a good idea .put a small low ie saucer of water( pipetting is quite hard)

I think just do what you are doing. You could try RSPCA they are best (as RSPB in my past experience of living near a river are more interested in laws/protection of birds)

RSPCA may also be able to point you in the right direction of someone who can takeover. I hope it pulls through but if its really tiny may be a bit shocked etc , they really need to be with their own unfortunately. I know what you mean about predators etc difficult one

Let us know how you get on, my ducklings were hatched under a broody silkie and my neighbour hatched a mallard egg with a load of Aylesburys it would be trying to find someone who is in that same situation ,

Try your best it may be a fighter def worth RSPCA as have found them so helpful in past

indie

oh what a shame :(

If the ducklings are too small its unusual for them to survive..often our wild ones hatch ie 15 and only 2 will survive , on the whole ducks are really rubbish mothers, we get the odd ferocious brilliant mother but that is unusual. Its amazing any survive at all really, they will try to kill each others ducklings etc survival of the fittest

There is a domestic breed big ugly thing that is a good broody duck..cant remember its name blooming ugly though...some will disagree

At least you did your best

poor little duckling

indie :(