Ziggy

multi-rabbit family

Hi everyone

I have been researching this for a while but the advice available in various places is a bit conflicting (not to say at times very conflicting), so thought I'd ask here if anyone has any knowledge or experience.

It seems commonly accepted that the best combination for keeping two rabbits, is a male and a female (both neutered), then as second best option two females (also preferably neutered). While that seems to be largely accepted and documented, what are the best combination to keep four rabbits together (in very large housing, with access to large runs at all times and enough sleeping areas and feeding points and toys for all of them)? Would it be better to have one male and three females, or two males and two females, all obviously neutered? The rabbits would be siblings from the same litter, and I was assuming we couldn't keep two males, but a breeder suggested to me that two males and two females would be a better combination, and we'd end with two female/male bonded pairs that were likely to get on.

Is that likely to work better than three females and a male?

Thanks,

I am not really sure how having 4 together would work. When I volunteered at an animal sanctuary, the only larger groups were of babies who had grown up together, there were a couple of neutered mixed-sex groups that were OK.

I have 4 buns, each a mixed sex pair. But I can't even put their runs near each other on the grass, because one of the males starts attacking his girlfriend - when they are perfectly fine together the rest of the time :roll:

I have had 4 bunnies before. I started with 2 brothers who were neutered then added one young girl a year later then another young girl 6 months later. all lived together happily for a number of years.

I introduced them all gradually on neutral ground first. The older female was most aggressive to the new girl but she was submissive and it worked out ok.

They were all houserabbits with a large kitchen during the day and the rest of the house during the evening.

As one boy died at age 7 he was replaced with a younger neutered male- very docile and took submissive stance even though he was bigger. I chose the rabbits carefully and knew them well and could monitor behaviour. Neutering was a key factor. Also they had lots of room.

I guess there are no hard and fast rules- get to know the dynamics of your rabbits relationships so you can anticipate problems. Introduce them sensibly. Mine all worked well together as a group and lived long happy lives.

I now have 2 young ones (male and female) and as I now have chickens too, am banned from extending bunny numbers again but 4 worked well for me and mine.