theherd123

E SAFETY! PLEASE READ!!!

With more and more of us blogging, chatting etc etc i have found a few e safety tips here so thought they might be of use to all us internet users. :D

*Don’t post your phone number or email address on your homepage. Think about it – why would anyone actually need this info when they can message you privately via Myspace or Bebo?

*Don’t post pictures of you or your mates wearing school uniform – if dodgy people see your school badge, they can work out where you are and come and find you

*Adjust your account settings so only approved friends can instant message you. This won’t ruin your social life – new people can still send you friend requests and message you, they just won’t be able to pester you via IM

*Tick the “no pic forwarding” option on your Myspace settings page – this will stop people sending pictures from your page around the world without your consent

*Don’t give too much away in a blog. Yes, tell the world you’re going to a party on Saturday night. But don’t post details of where it is. Real friends can phone you to get details, and strangers shouldn’t be able to see this kind of information.

An addition from Kate, site admin

A quick warning to you all.

We are still having problems with spammers getting through our registration security and most of them have very unsuitable websites linked to the www buttons on their profiles.

I would advise you all NOT to click on these unless you know that the person is a genuine member. I am doing my best to keep on top of the situation and am deleting new members who appear to be dodgy but I can't be here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I can't be held responsible if you do happen to find yourselves on unsuitable websites. I will do my best to keep the forum clear of these though

Edited by Guest

Here are some more e safety tips from safekids.com

These rules could be agreed and signed by kids before using the internet at home or at school.

Kids' Rules for Online Safety

I will not give out personal information such as my address, telephone number, parents’ work address/telephone number, or the name and location of my school without my parents’ permission.

I will tell my parents right away if I come across any information that makes me feel uncomfortable.

I will never agree to get together with someone I "meet" online without first checking with my parents. If my parents agree to the meeting, I will be sure that it is in a public place and bring my mother or father along.

I will never send a person my picture or anything else without first checking with my parents.

I will not respond to any messages that are mean or in any way make me feel uncomfortable. It is not my fault if I get a message like that. If I do I will tell my parents right away so that they can contact the service provider.

I will talk with my parents so that we can set up rules for going online. We will decide upon the time of day that I can be online, the length of time I can be online and appropriate areas for me to visit. I will not access other areas or break these rules without their permission.

I will not give out my Internet password to anyone (even my best friends) other than my parents.

I will check with my parents before downloading or installing software or doing anything that could possibly hurt our computer or jeopardize my family’s privacy

I will be a good online citizen and not do anything that hurts other people or is against the law.

I will help my parents understand how to have fun and learn things online and teach them things about the Internet, computers and other technology.

:idea: Time for an update me thinks! :idea:

As a teacher of ICT i cannot stress enough that E-safety is crucial if you are an internet user!

Irrespective of age we are all vulnerable and open to some sort of exploitation when surfing the internet. This could range from opening a dodgy attachment sent with an email to chatting with someone who maybe acting like they are 14 but are really 40! :shock::shock::shock:

It is important to understand that not everything & everyone on the internet can be taken at face value. Even though you are surfing the internet in the safety of your own home, there are people out there who are very clever at leading you into a false sense of security. :(

Here are a few tips for all internet users.

1. Don't give out personal details (address, phone numbers etc), photographs, or any other information that could be used to identify you, such as information about your family, where you live or the school you go to.

2. Don't take other people at face value - they may not be

what they seem.

3. Never arrange to meet someone you've only ever previously met on the Internet without first telling your parents, getting their permission and taking a responsible adult with you. The first meeting should always be in a public place.

4. Always stay in public areas of chat and where there are other people around.

5. Don't open an attachment or download a file unless you know and trust the person who has sent it.

6. Never respond directly to anything you find disturbing - save or print it, log off and tell an adult.

Did you know that a virtual ID card exists as a way of improving child safety on the internet? :idea:

There is a link to it below

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5238992.stm

OK so you think you are E Smart? 8)

Try this site, get clued up and then test yourself with the quiz! :wink:

http://www.kidsmart.org.uk/yp/games.aspx

The internet is a great tool but use it wisely and be safe! :D:D:D

Happy Surfing!

I've seen e-mail addresses that incorporate the year of birth!

Can children on this website please remember to remind parents about safety :?: Sometimes we can be unaware of a potential breach of security :oops:

I have found that choosing e-mail addresses can be a problem as some indicate gender and some seem to attract offensive SPAM :!::evil:

please can I add something... it may not be what you wish to list but my daughter added her best friends to her email, and chatted to them regularly and they arranged to meet up in places etc... little did we know that a friend that fallen out with my daughter was plotting to harm her from the group she had added.. with out my daughter's knowledge she had been followed by an enemy on the train to another town one Saturday and was threatened and pushed onto live train tracks when a train was drawing into the platform.. I know it's not easy to keep with with these kinds of people but keep information about where you are going OFFLINE.. do not give dates /destinations/times/trains/routes etc online keep them for personal phone calls/meetings, anyone could decide to meet you there... if this needs moving or editing please feel free. any more information if it is required I would be pleased to help with...

Edited by Guest