CrazyDaizy

Rabbits eating carrots

Hia Folks

My Dwarf Lop Earred rabbit eats lots of carrots that we feed to him. In fact I work in a busy Tea Room that serves hot dinners, and I bring home loads of carrot peelings that he and the chooks love.

He free ranges every day so he eats grass too, as well as any of our shrubs that he has a liking for, tho he has munched his way through what he can reach, everything is well pruned now. There are some shrubs/bushes he wont touch so they cant be good for him.

What I am concerned is..... is it ok to give him so many carrots? He does have his own "bunny food" too.

If there is a thread already with this info on, pls let me know. I had a quick look and couldnt find anything.

Hi there,

I'm no expert in bunny care, but one vet told me that a rabbit fed purely on hay and vegetables (celery, carrots and broccoli) tends to be healthier and less at risk of flystrike than bunnies fed on pellets...

Her point was 'wild rabbits don't live on pellets... and they don't usually suffer from soft stools or diahrrea, or flystrike'.

Now of course I didn't ask how she can be sure of that...

At the shop where I got my bunnies, I was told the opposite, they said don't give any vegetables, these pellets are a complete diet, don't give anything else except hay... I ignored them cause I think that's a bit boring and the bunnies love some vegetables, and my old bunny was fed on lots of carrots and other veg and survived a happy 6 years before getting serious teeth problems... so the veg can't be bad...

From all sometimes conflicting advice, it seems that hay and grass are the best... I can't see carrot and carrot tops doing much harm...

Hia Folks

My Dwarf Lop Earred rabbit eats lots of carrots that we feed to him. In fact I work in a busy Tea Room that serves hot dinners, and I bring home loads of carrot peelings that he and the chooks love.

He free ranges every day so he eats grass too, as well as any of our shrubs that he has a liking for, tho he has munched his way through what he can reach, everything is well pruned now. There are some shrubs/bushes he wont touch so they cant be good for him.

What I am concerned is..... is it ok to give him so many carrots? He does have his own "bunny food" too.

If there is a thread already with this info on, pls let me know. I had a quick look and couldnt find anything.

Hi, I am a vet nurse and all too often rabbits are given too much of the pellet food which thay tend to pick out thier fave bits and leave the rest, hence not a balance diet. In fact they should only have a couple of tablespoons of dried pellets per day and the rest of the diet should be veg etc, not lettuce as it gives them the runs, and the main bulk of their diet should be high quality hay. Feeding a diet like this will make them less likely to have dental problems and be less prone to obesity - both of which contribute to fly strike. If you want to know anything else about rabbits just pm me. Hope that helps...