T

How Normal is Normal?

Is it normal for newly delivered chickens to spend almost the entire day disappearing into the eglu? We feel bad about disturbing them but how else will they link us with food and treats as well as get habituated to us.

Cannot say they "come running toward us" as others seem to describe. More the opposite. Do they lose the skittishness naturally once fully settled or is there something else?

Ta for any help offered.

Also, how pronounced is the comb in a fully mature hen?

The comb depends on the hen, T. Clarry has a large comb and wattles, Jenny's is smaller with hardly and wattles and Izzy has a very spiky little comb with nice little wattles so they're all different.

I imagine your girls are getting used to their new surroundings. I bet it's all a bit bewildering for them at the moment so they're hiding where they know it's safe. They'll get braver as they settle in so by next weekend, they'll be out for most of the day and already bothering you for treats!

I agree with Kate, everything is a bit bewildering for them at first.

They will take a while to learn their boundaries, what is safe and what is not safe etc.

Don't worry, they will settle very quickly once they get used to life at the house of 'T'! :D

About combs, again i agree with Kate, every chicken is different. Our pepperpot Tikka has a rather large comb with big wattles, whereas Matilda the gingernut has a far smaller one. This confused us, because when we had our first egg in february everyone thought it was Tikka, and it turned out to be Matilda! (outwitted by a chicken... :shock: )

Enjoy the chickens!!

Ours shot off into the Eglu and didn't come out for the rest of the first day (from lunchtime). THe next morning, one came out, and then the other, and by the afternoon they had found the water and the food. We have a tabby cat who worried us a bit- he brings rabbits home, so we kept them in until he got close enough to be pecked, and he did, so that was all right.

ours have been here for about 6 weeks now and are still not happy to be picked up, but there you go, I don't mind, we've got three kids and I'd rather the hens didn't get mauled by the 20m old twins!

Ours were the same with the comb thing Clare. We thought it was the chook with the biggest comb that started laying first too - clever old chooks eh!

Their shyness didn't last long either - they soon became part of the family after only a short while.