beach chick Posted July 8, 2009 Share Posted July 8, 2009 hi there - havent been on here for ages, what with life and all that... anyway I hope everyone and their chooks are all well, and thought I would give you an update on my girls. We rehomed Apricot the silkie bantam cockerel to friends after being concerned about the noise - subsequently at least 4 sets of neighbours say they miss him. so we might get him back! 2 days after he went, fox got 3 girls in 2 days. subsequent extensive electric fence overhaul, and nothing since. 6 weeks ago, I got 7 new girls of various shapes and sizes, from a Buff Orp down to a golden Sebright. all settled in very well, so I now have a flock of 11 girls who all live in the cube (after a 2 week period of segregation, supervision and then finally going for it). the place I got the new ones from was a bit dodgy, but I let my heart get the better of me because of the selection of breeds they had (mistake). subsequently, even after worming, we have some sneezes across about 4 or 5 of the girls (both old and new) so its off to the vet tomorrow for a check and prob some broad spectrum antibiotics for all of them. vet thinks it could be mycoplasma. if anyone is in Kent and thinking of getting some more girls, PM me and I will tell you where NOT to go!!! my flock now contains 1 each of the following: Buff Orp, Aruacana, Cream Legbar, Bluebell, Silver Sussex, Rhode Island Red, Columbian Blacktail, Marans, Speckledy, Silkie, and a Golden Sebright!!!! gorgeous, all of them! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
quickcluck Posted July 8, 2009 Share Posted July 8, 2009 How can you give us this lovely update and no pics Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seagazer Posted July 8, 2009 Share Posted July 8, 2009 I look forward to seeing them next time I'm walking along a certain sea wall I'll pm and ask where you got them from Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chickvic Posted July 8, 2009 Share Posted July 8, 2009 They sound lovely, we need pics! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted July 8, 2009 Share Posted July 8, 2009 Welcome back and thanks for the lovely update (so sorry about the fox attack though and the poorly girls ). I agree, we can't possibly comment properly unless we see some photos . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chelsea Posted July 9, 2009 Share Posted July 9, 2009 Nice to have you back Beach Chick Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
redfrock Posted July 11, 2009 Share Posted July 11, 2009 Oh Beach Chick. I bet I know only too well where you got them from .. a bit of a trip up the motorway I bet..... Can't believe he is still getting away with this and he will swear blind he doesn't have myco in his flock and yet so many of us have come away with chooks suffering from exactly that. Has the vet given you Tylan? It cleared my girls up a treat who came a very similar sounding supplier ... he has an awful lot of breeds doesn't he, and yes the heartstrings do make you go against your better judgement as I know only too well. Not sure how local you are to me, but Abbey Lodge Vets in Herne Bay have a chook expert and are very very reasonable. I can't rate them highly enough. Hope your new girls go from strength to strength - you wouldn't recognise my now from when I first got them. Sorry to hear about the wily fox though Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
beach chick Posted July 13, 2009 Author Share Posted July 13, 2009 begins with 'C' redfrock!! vet tells me they are renowned for it. we started tylan on thurs - just waiting for an update on dosage, because he said 5mg to 4l of water and thought it would last them a week, however they'd drunk it all by sat!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...