alligg Posted July 9, 2009 Share Posted July 9, 2009 Hi We've had our girls a week now and they are settling in nicely,the guy where we got them from said it would be about 2-4wks before they started laying.will they just start laying when they are ready or should I be doing something to encourage them. sorry if it seems a bit of a silly question. Alli Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
house-elf Posted July 9, 2009 Share Posted July 9, 2009 hi there ! I think you just have to wait. I have had my girls for a few weeks, Florrie had her first egg after a few days, then it took a week before I got more, now she is almost every other day. However, Matilda hasn't laid yet so we are still waiting with her. Just need to make sure they are on pellets/mash as that contains what they need to make the eggs. Thats all you can really do. But believe me, when you get your first egg, you will be soooo excited ! The kids and I still get excited when we get an egg ! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted July 9, 2009 Share Posted July 9, 2009 House-elf is right . Nothing you can do but wait (and in some cases, wait and wait ). I predict the very day you stop going to the nestbox with hope in your heart is the day you'll get an egg . You can watch out for signs that they are getting ready though, like crouching and larger, redder combs and wattles. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
alligg Posted July 9, 2009 Author Share Posted July 9, 2009 Thanks so much You read my mind,I was going to ask if there were any signs to look for,I had read about the combs going redder and I did notice the 2 sussex had got a lot darker over the last couple of days. another quick question one of the sussex goes mad for her pellets with natural yoghurt on,how often is ok to let her have some. Alli Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Patricia W Posted July 9, 2009 Share Posted July 9, 2009 Hi Welcome I give mine yogurt and pellets from time to time - basically a) when there is some yogurt left and b) when I remember. Mine love tuna occasionally too, but usually they get dried mealworms and mixed corn as a treat - no preparation! Tricia Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
emmamakeup Posted July 9, 2009 Share Posted July 9, 2009 We've had ours for nearly two months and we've only just started getting eggs from one of them. It was such a long wait and I actually resigned myself to the fact that we weren't going to get any for months but it did happen and I was like a child on Christmas morning - really fab. I had a feeling that they were going to lay when they started to squat when I approached them and they started to venture into the eglu in the daytime - albeit briefly but this wasn't their normal behaviour so I had a feeling it was nearly time. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...