yelsel20

? Gape worm or not

Hi

I have been on work experience at a vet practice for the past three weeks. A chicken was brought in a week ago looking a bit pathetic, not eating and "gaping" as the man described "trying to throw up". Vets as we know have limited experience of our feathered friends and a conflab "out the back" between three came up with possible gape worm. Antiobiotic injection and panacur were administered. The chicken has been back this week showing no signs of improvement. Any suggestions as I have not come across gape worm before but would have probably tried Flubenvent first.

(cube green)(blue eglu)(green eglu)

GNR x 3 Olive, Edna and Mabel

Orpington - Grace

(white chicken) White leghorn - Erin

Two blue lace wyandottes, Belle and Clucky

Two Silver laced wyandottes, Ruby and Rosie

(hatch) x3 Daisy, Flora and Hebe (I think Daisy might be a Derek!)

I have no experience with gapeworm either, it could possibly be that :think: it could also maybe be a crop problem. (sour crop or impacted crop)

Gapeworm requires a double dose of flubenvet. I've never used panacur so can't comment on whether it's any good or not.

What an interesting placement for work experience :wink:

the chicken's breathing will be very laboured and probably accompanied by a rasping/croaking. It will make choking noises and movements regularly and shake its head.

If you look down their throat and hold a torch to their neck, it's sometimes possible to see the worms in the windpipe.

I've just lost a girl to gape, trust me, you'd KNOW if your chicken had it.