tiggerlady Posted July 16, 2009 Share Posted July 16, 2009 Bella has been the subject of some feather plucking over the past few months..nothing too serious though..but she is starting to look a tad 'threadbare'. I know Ukadex is supposed to work as the ultimate deterrent,but before I bite the bullet and get some, would a bumper bit have the effect of stopping this?Advice please..thanks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Groovychook Posted July 16, 2009 Share Posted July 16, 2009 Yes! It worked for me with instant results. Hilda was the offender and by the time the bumpa bit had worn off (a good few months later), she'd lost all interest in plucking! I wouldn't hesitate to fit another one if the problem arose again... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted July 17, 2009 Share Posted July 17, 2009 Yes from me too. I use straight Circlip pliers from Halfords to fit them. It makes the job a doddle. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
xScrunchee Posted July 17, 2009 Share Posted July 17, 2009 Not in my case My 3 hens have bumper bits and after a few weeks of having them on they seem to be able to pull feathers or strip feathers bare. I had this with previous chickens too. At least they cannot draw blood or cause serious damage though. No idea why my hens do this neither. They have a walk in run and I always have things hanging up for them, cabbages, branches, peck-a-blocks etc. They are fed on organic pellets, have limestone flour, oystershell, poultry spice in their food and are generally spoilt. They bumper bits are fitted correctly too. However I am definitely in the minority here as everyone else seems to get on fine after fitting the bumper bits so I'm sure it will solve your problems too Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted July 17, 2009 Share Posted July 17, 2009 With ours it didn't solve the problem completely, they can be pretty determined, they even managed to draw blood one day when one of them got covered in egg yolk after laying a softie. They do however help a lot and make harmony in the flock much more likely. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
tiggerlady Posted July 17, 2009 Author Share Posted July 17, 2009 Many thanks for that girls! Would it be a Flytesofancy job or could you recommend anywhere else please? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Groovychook Posted July 18, 2009 Share Posted July 18, 2009 You can get them from here http://www.wernlas.com/ If you give them a call, they're very helpful & will explain that you need to send them a s.a.e The bumpa bits only cost about 10p each, so you pay for them by sending their value in postage stamps. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mazzarina Posted July 18, 2009 Share Posted July 18, 2009 I recommend that the SAE you send to Wernlas has a 'large letter' stamp, as otherwise you might have to pay excess postage. Wernlas send the bits very quickly, so you'll get them in no time. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...