lisa33

force feeding maggots

Can anyone give me any ideas on how to make Rae eat maggots?

She has obviously got a blockage as we have had to empty her crop again today.

We bought 1/2 pint maggots. She ate about half a dozen and now won't touch them. What can I do? She is so light now from not eating. It's breaking my heart. :cry:

She has sour crop. There is a blockage which is stopping the food going through. She is still poorly and will not eat anything. She has hardly eaten since at least Tuesday. I have spoken to our local poultry centre and they have assured me I have done everything correctly.

We are not giving up on her though and i will keep trying to get her through this.

I'm not holding out much hope. She weighs practically nothing and is struggling to stand up.

:cry:

Mine had sour crop this week.

I fed yoghurt for 24 hours but she was no better.

The vet gave her NOROCLAV injection to fight infection. Plus METOCLOPRAMIDE injection as a 'tummy churner' as the sour crop is usually caused by a blockage somewhere in the digestive tract and this helps flush everything out.

He gave me a few syringes to give her jabs of antibiotic and metoclopramide over a few days and I also continued with the yoghurt. She is much better now.

I agree, she really does need to see a vet now. Good luck with her and hope she is better soon.

Yes definately the Vets.

Sorry :(

Mine got sour crop twice, both times due to a blockage, egg related!

She made a full recovery the first time (with Vet treatment)

Sadly 5/6 weeks later the same thig happened and from Friday (with vet Thursday) to Monday she was soo soo sad and weak I had to let her go! :cry:

She was a very special girl too :(

I don't know if we should have tried the crop draining and further treatment or not, but I so did not want her so suffer further!

good luck :pray:

Just a quick update.

Thanks for all the advice.

We didn't take Rae to the vets in the end.

With a week of patience and care she eventually started eating and digesting again.

Now she is happily living back with the others, eating and scratching and pooing normally.

Welcome Back Rae. :D

Our girls have got up in the morning a few times with a full crop. We used Olive oil and a syringe to trickle it into the beak. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BRAVE ASSISTANT and a thick jumper to save your arms from scratches. We'd then gently massage the crop. If you can feel grain it'll probably be ok, but if it's very smelly or rock hard, you'll need a different approach.

Glad she's better though, well done both of you...

Stacey