Tink

How many in eglu without run???

Hi everyone...

I just noticed a post on one of the other threads that suggested an eglu is big enough for 5 chickens without a run.

My eglu does not have the run attached - it is in a WIR which is roughly 6ft x 11ft..... Does anyone have any idea how many girls this would be suitable for??

Thank you!!

The technical answer is 3 medium sized hens. However I know that others on here have posted that they have two Eglus and yet five or six hens will all pile into the same one at night! They do squish up quite close together.

I think five would probably fit although you might have a queue for the nesting-box. Not sure about the run size, sounds about right to me but I'm not good at visualising that size, someone else on here will probably have an idea though.

I currently have 3 hens in my Eglu and WIR but at the end of August I will be picking up 2 more so I will have 5 and my run is 11ft X 5ft ish.

I asked last year about if 5 hens would be ok and the general opinion was an absolute yes :D

I am planning on adding a second nest box and read somewhere that a plastic children's potty is perfect for them so I will put the second nest in the Eglu at the back each morning and just take it out in the evening when they go to bed :D

Thank you everyone for the advice...that is good to know :D

so....which breeds should the next 2 be..... :think::D

Whatever you can get hold of! Bluebelles are good! :D

aaahhhhh, funny you should mention a Blubelle....Ive been badgering my OH all day to let me have one :lol:

Thank you everyone for the advice...that is good to know :D

so....which breeds should the next 2 be..... :think::D

Whatever you can get hold of! Bluebelles are good! :D

aaahhhhh, funny you should mention a Blubelle....Ive been badgering my OH all day to let me have one :lol:

So...the OH has finally come round to the idea of another girl :dance: going to pick my bluebelle up in an hour.... :lol: Im sure you all suggested I can still fit one more in though :think::lol:

please please be careful overcrowding them in the summer could prove fatal.

I had 4 in a piglu, loads and loads of room as all huddled together however one of mine is very disabled and was getting trampled on in the mornings when they start getting agoitated about getting out, so stuck a 2nd Eglu in the WIR, the 2 able legged chooks after 2 days moved out. however in that heat wave I had to leave the doors open. I really felt 26 degrees too hot for closed doors and a couple were panting. I also have one disabled AND with air sac dammage and she wheezes all the time, one hot morming I opened the door and I thought she was going to die!

Now i know these are not "normal" girls, but please be careful.

Now give me say 4 months and I will be worrying that it is not warm enough for2 ! :D