GeorgeA Posted July 21, 2009 Share Posted July 21, 2009 Hi, I am new to chickens and only collected them yesterday from Omlet. the is up and moving and eating and drinking ok. The one hardly moved once unboxed and put in the Eglu run. In fact she seemed very subdued, but she did eat and drink a little. I did call Omlet and they said not to worry. Today she has not even come out of the Eglu to eat or drink at all. OK I know it is early but her companion has been up and about for a while, coming out to eat and drink frequently. I believe she is only going back in the Eglu due to the rain. Any Ideas or suggestions ? Is it just the settling in? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted July 21, 2009 Share Posted July 21, 2009 At this stage, it is probably a 'just settling in' phase. So long as she is eating and drinking there is probably nothing to worry about. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
GeorgeA Posted July 21, 2009 Author Share Posted July 21, 2009 Thank you for your swift reply. I am not sure if she has eaten or had anything to drink today, I just don't want to leave it to long before doing something. I will just keep an eye on her, From the window for now as it is pouring Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
GeorgeA Posted July 21, 2009 Author Share Posted July 21, 2009 Hi, Ok Panick over I decided to lift her out and put her near the food and water, as I did so she wondered out. She is now pecking away at the ground so I am sure she will have a drink etc when she is ready. Much relieved as they are predominately the childrens pets. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted July 21, 2009 Share Posted July 21, 2009 Glad to hear that she's fine. You mention that she may be worrying about the rain - does your run have a cover? If not, may I suggest that you get a clear tarp or shower curtain and some bungee hooks to cover it. They will be happy with a dry run to shelter in. Enjoy your hens Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
GeorgeA Posted July 21, 2009 Author Share Posted July 21, 2009 Hi, Thank you for you help and suggestions. She is indeed fine and pottering around. I took your avice about extending the cover and they both seem happier. I only had binbags but they worked OK, I will look into a better long term solution. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted July 22, 2009 Share Posted July 22, 2009 Glad to hear she's better. Omlet hens are kept under cover, so she was probably a bit at all that rain. A clear tarp, shower curtains or clear corrugated plastic are all ideal, and secure easily with bungee hooks. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted July 24, 2009 Share Posted July 24, 2009 Hi, how's she doing now? I thought they must be kept under cover. When mine first came they were terrified of birds, aeroplanes and just about anything in the sky. It didn't take long for them to take everything in their stride though. Ikea shower curtains are only 80-90p and clear so fine when wet and cloudy. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
GeorgeA Posted July 25, 2009 Author Share Posted July 25, 2009 Hi, She is fine and getting really tame, she even comes when called, Currently I have a shower curtain over half of the Eglu run and the Omlet triangle cover over the rest of it. I am currently building a WIR, but due to our "boggy" garden plan to have it raised on concrete. unfortunately at the moment the other one is sneezing and sounds like she is snoring. After reading other posts we are considering trying to get to see a vet. Unfortunaley the concrete is being delivered at nine today, so will have to deal with that first. I am hoping that it is just a cold type thing as it has rained every day since we have had them. (six days) Just wondering if we have another 35 days of rain to come in biblical proportions. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...