Clare L Posted July 23, 2009 Share Posted July 23, 2009 Our new red cube and two Gingernut Rangers arrived today They are called Little Red Hen and Henny Penny (although we are having so much trouble telling them apart ) Here is a link to some photos: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2027763&id=1375029727&l=33ffcc8010 We put our other two Amber Lees straight in the cube with them, and so far so good. A few pecks, but they seem to have their pecking order sorted out straight away. Little Red hen is number one followed by Henny Penny and then the two Amber Lees (who dont seem to mind at all). The Amber Lees are only 16 weeks (the GNRs are 22 weeks), so I think it did them good to be with us for a few days before the GNRs arrived, as they went into the cube confidently to meet the GNRs and held their own Hopefully the GNRs will settle in as well as the Amber Lees have - they have been eating out of our hands, dont mind being picked up from the egg port for a cuddle in the evenings, and letting our little boy stroke them in the egg port in the mornings. They even followed me around the garden when we first let them out free-ranging and went in with a handful of corn. The GNRs dont seem to have found their way up to the nesting area as yet, so hopefully they will follow the Amber Lees to bed tonight as they have been putting themselves to bed at exactly the same time each night! Not sure how I am going to get them up the stairs otherwise... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
K-F-C Posted July 23, 2009 Share Posted July 23, 2009 They look great! I got mine on Tuesday... it's all very exciting isn't it? My wife and I have been sat out for the past 3 hours just watching them and having the occasional cuddle! (With the chickens... not each other.) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Clare L Posted July 23, 2009 Author Share Posted July 23, 2009 They look great! I got mine on Tuesday... it's all very exciting isn't it? My wife and I have been sat out for the past 3 hours just watching them and having the occasional cuddle! (With the chickens... not each other.) Glad you clarified the cuddle bit We are loving having the chickens and like you have spent sooooo much time watching them - although in our case from the window, as it has been raining loads. I cannot believe how friendly the first lot have become already - although they wont have a cuddle unless we get them from the egg port at night, but I am hoping that if we carry on doing this they will lose their nervousness. Two of the chickens laid an egg in the delivery van, so we will find out soon if it was one of ours - there were 5 in the van. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
xScrunchee Posted July 24, 2009 Share Posted July 24, 2009 I don't think the novelty ever wears off. I have had chickens for just over two years now and was sitting outside in the run with them at 6.00 this morning. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ms Tilytinkle Posted July 24, 2009 Share Posted July 24, 2009 AH how lovely, it's sooo exciting and they become even more dear to you. Many moons later still every night - every morning still they are as pleasurable & still are as funny. Soon enough I'm sure you will be able to tell them apart, once their little different personalities develop. Then you have the joys of them laying ... so much to enjoy!! You'll start having you morning cuppa with them & the evening tipple at sun down Ms Tillyhopesyouhaveafabdaywithlotsoffunandsoonyouhavealitleflockwhosticktogether bathetogetherrangetogetherandrun,theirhilariouslyfunnylittlerun,together Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Clare L Posted July 24, 2009 Author Share Posted July 24, 2009 We have all been doing a double egg dance this morning as both new girls proudly laid an egg this morning One for each of my boys to collect! Proud mummy hen here Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Happy chickens! Posted July 24, 2009 Share Posted July 24, 2009 Great! Time omlet offered colour co-ordinated chicken chair for all the chicken watchers out there! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ubereglu Posted July 24, 2009 Share Posted July 24, 2009 They look very happy and you sound very pleased! I'm a little bit jealous-last time I had new hens was nearly two years ago! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bexbex Posted July 24, 2009 Share Posted July 24, 2009 aww they're great They look happy in their new home Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...