Jules.

There are bee keeping courses on the courses page!!!!!

Johannes seems to be running one this Sunday in Central London...........why is everything happening this Sunday when I have to babysit my Nan, DH is going off to watch his DS rowing, and Buffie is poorly with no-one else willing/able to treat her :wall: ?! Not only am I missing the craft weekend but the nearest Beekeeping/Beehaus course too.............is anyone likely to do a course in the South & not in the middle of (big & scary) London do you think?

**Sha goes off muttering & mumbling to herself about the law of sod :roll: !**

Sha x

Perhaps one day when I become brave. am trying to convince my neighbour to get his bees again so I can learn, he made it sound so easy and he loved it and I know he is full of great knowledge to help me! I will keep trying. indie :)

I have booked myself one one near me near Newcastle for this Saturday!!!!!! It was only £15!!!! When the confirmation email came in I realised it was the same place that in May taster days were £80 :shock: Unfortunately I didn't show up so I hope he doesn't remember me! :oops:

I am very excited though!!!!

I'm so gutted, we booked for this and when the conf mail came I just fwd'd it to Ian without reading it and asked him to plan the route on his satnav. When we were halfway there, I said "What are we doing in Middleton!?" Ian then pointed out to me that the mail said...

Thank you for booking your course, 'Beginners Beekeeping' on 22-Aug-09 10:00.

We have reserved you 2 places.

The course is being held at the following address

110 XXXXXXX Lane

Middleton

Manchester

Greater Manchester

M24 XXX

so then we had to make a mad dash to to wythenshawe park but got there too late and couldn't find anyone to help.

Yes, I'm annoyed with myself for not reading the mail but I am more annoyed with whoever completed the course details for telling us to go to the wrong address. We were really looking forward to this!

We managed to salvage the day and had coffee and cake in the park and wandered round the park farm but we're down £20 and we didn't get to do the course.

DD and I went on the bee keeping course this afternoon. It was brilliant. :clap: Three leaders met us and were so friendly and nice. We sat out in the garden in glorious sunshine with busy bees around us while we went through the hive parts. Then we got into bee suits and split into groups of three to open a hive. It was fascinating seeing all the bees at work. We were all encouraged to use the hive tool and take out a frame for inspection. I also saw a dead varroa mite so I know what to look for!

Afterwards we went back into the gardenen for tea, scones with jam and honey! Over tea we talked about swarming and ways to prevent it. We then had a good look at the Beehaus. It was a green one and as yet does not have any occupants. It looks very practical. The three experienced beekeepers talked about what kind of situations it was perfect for. The only hiccup seemed to be the queen excluder which if placed the right way sometimes blocked the bees from getting into the supers and we were told to put it on the other way to solve this.

The afternoon finished with discussing a bee keeping course suitable for everyone and at the right time of year. I have met three very positive very encouraging beekeepers who have really made my day. I shall be asking for Beehaus for Christmas with the intention of starting out in June/July next year. :D

YaY! some happy bee posts!

Btw, Egluntine - I talked to bee party man by PM about another date in September - as neither of us can go the weekend he's booking up for. He's asked us when we would want one. If you're interested why not PM me some dates you can/can't do and I'll get back in touch with him?