quickcluck

Featherloss - not a moult

Well......... we've had a feather problem from last year. Our orginal 6 chooks are all still bald on their undercarridge there has never been any regrowth. :(:(

They've been to the vets we've tried all sorts of creams to no avail..... and we've come to terms with it...

However, our columbine who was POL may time has now started to lose her feathers in the same area :shock::shock::shock: I dont think it's a mini moult as it's in the wrong place.....

I'm concerned as my baby orps still have all their feathers at the moment and I really dont want the same to happen.

Any ideas?

We've changed the flooring, stopped the garden lime ages ago......

despairing....

Our amber link is the same - she has a bald undercarriage and it looks sore to me, however she seems happy - bright comb and eyes, laying, bossiest of all of them and charges around the field for food. I have tried all sorts but to no avail, she doesn't seem sore, no flinching, so we're now just keeping an eye on her.

I've been having this too - initially it was my bantams and I put it down to them being broody as apparently they pluck themselves to line the nest and give closer contact to the eggs. Now they're gone and the big chooks have the same thing - and they are showing no other signs of being broody so will be interested to see if there are any suggestions.

I did hear that sometimes the hot weather can result in plucking too but don't think it's been hot enough for that! I think one of them is sleeping in the nest box now but otherwise it's just the standard eglu bars - I'm not convinced rubbing against something would produce baldness to this extent!

jen

Could one of them be plucking the others? Until recently I had a plucker in my flock and early on she plucked the tummies of her 2 sisters bare. It would look sore but I think that was just part of the blushing comb thing. I never saw her do it until several months down the line. I think she did it in the mornings when they were waiting for me to open the cube up. They didn't grown back until they'd had a moult.

When mine have a moult they shake themselves in the run and feathers fly everywhere so I think you'd know.

ALL info here.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neem_oil

best to read all but here is excert that you might find interesting, it has beed sold in the "doggy" world as ECONEEM for some time now. It has A somewhat"unique" smell! :)

Formulations made of Neem oil also find wide usage as a bio-pesticide for organic farming, as it repels a wide variety of pests including the mealy bug, beet armyworm, aphids, the cabbage worm, thrips, whiteflies, mites, fungus gnats, beetles, moth larvae, mushroom flies, leafminers, caterpillers, locust, nematodes and the Japanese beetle. Neem Oil is not known to be harmful to mammals, birds or some beneficial insects such as earthworms, butterflies, honeybees and ladybugs. It can be used as a household pesticide for ant, bedbug, cockroach, housefly, sand fly, snail, termite and mosquitoes both as repellent and larvicide (Puri 1999). Neem oil also controls black spot, powdery mildew, anthracnose and rust (fungus).

For use as a bio-pesticide, pure Neem oil should be diluted at the rate of 1 teaspoon per quart, or 4 teaspoons per gallon of water (metric: 5.2 millilitres per litre) and used as a foliar spray or used as a soil drench at the rate of 1 liter per square meter of soil (3 ounces per square foot). Adding a surfactant greatly enhances its effectiveness. Ordinary liquid dishwashing soap may be used as a surfactant, added at the rate of 1 tablespoon per gallon.

my bluebelle, Mabel, has this too. Has had for months. I put it down to her sleeping on the house floor insteand of the perch and she maybe rubs off her feathers. It looks quite red when her crop is full, you can see a little pink bald patch poking out through the rest of her feathers. It's the only thing I could think of. I switched from hemcore to easi-bed in case it was an allergy to hemp - nothing. She's not broody. She very well, bright eyed and perky. No sign of lice and no red mite in the house either. My other thought was it could be where she sits on poop all night, maybe the amonia sort of burning and irritating? (Short of strapping her to a roosting bar there's not much i can do about that though)

Odd that lots of other people's chooks have this in the same place on their girls which makes me think it may not be a mite/bug issue or else wouldn't they 'attack' in different places?

Would be interested to know if Neem oil works though.

yes I used it.

I THINK it made a difference. I used it in a bath but I think it might have been just as well to just put on as a cream, it is green. I would think the oil intself would suffocate any mite, I like the fact it is natural and organic.

Sodocrem is very soothing also.

I have also since used the Egluntine method of floweres of sulpher mixed in with t tree cream, both seem to remove the redness & I have feather regrowth now .

I actually bought it initially to spray my whole garden due to my fly problem. but she had to be bathed due to horrid mucky bum, so did 3 while I was wet & smelling of Neem :D

That's great. I think i will try mixing the powder with some udder cream i already have and applying that way, hopefully more direct and less messy for everyone (Mabel does not like baths!) as I see Eglutine tried both methods and noticed an improvement over night from the cream approach. Interesting to read that silver jewelry will go black with FOS so will remove my rings just in case. Thanks for this Quickcluck, off to ebay now!

ok, yes confusing.

I got the neem from the neem team.

I already had it for the fly problem, was already wondering if there was something else going on with my featherless, when I saw the depluming thread.

I had to bathe a sticky chicken anyway, so while I had al the soapy water etc going I decided to add the neem.

And I then soon I saw Egluntine used the tea tree And FOS so used the neat oil on bare bits (there were lots) it does honk though.

Like eglintine direct contact & the redness went by the morning.

Chook still had non treated red bits, so having now got the FOS I used it with the tee tree, just as egluntine did.

So not great help, as to one versus the other. chook is regrowing feathers now.

Same poor wee chook was also poorly, during all of this!

And is still not "quite right".

Hope this clears up a bit of confusion.

Sandy