Guest Poet

where to buy...

Location, type of beekeeping, security, type of bees, number, skill level, time scale, etc can all have a bearing on your choice.

I would say join your local association and find out what different tyopes are used in your location, why those, and advantages/disadvantages of the hive types.

You don't give any inkling of how you intend to progress; one or multiple, static or mobile, honey production or just to kep some bees.....

Hives are being nicked on a much more regular basis;can you afford to lose it/them?

Some bees are much more prolific than other strains and vice versa; a hive the wrong size can make husbandry more difficult.

If you want an omlette plastic hive, I hope you have a deep pocket, especially if you are considering multiple hives.

Hives are relatively easy to construct from well documented plans; better/more complex construction methods are needed for some hive types than for others.

If you wanted it/them yesterday and you skill level is low, buy in; most will have about six months before the next season to decide all the above and action their plans.

Winter sales are a good place for new kit; they will be advertised in the 'bee' monthly magazines/journals or what-have-you. You might want second hand, so the same again applies or your local BKA.

If you choose a plastic hive I would recommend a polyhive as you will not be paying 'over the odds' as the market is reasonably competitive and they are reasonably priced.

You really need to experience the different formats if possible, read, read, read and when you have all the differing advice, make up your own mind. Everyone (most) will have slightly different requirements.

It is easy to say 'go this way or that' but without all the relevant details, the permutations are numerous, to say the least.

Consider too that you may well need much more kit than is suggested by those who might be tempting you to get started, by saying 'this is all you need'. Swarm control is one area to consider. That is not to say that absolutely everything needs to be in place before starting.

Before you make all this investment it may be prudent to have some experience, like a course in beekeeping, under your belt. I am assuming you do not - as a lot of your enquiry would have been covered on such course. You also need to consider where you intend to keep your bees and to make sure that the location is approproiate.

Hope this helps.

Regards, RAB

I'm in the same position Poet, our local courses dont start until next Feb but it gives me time to convince OH that beekeeping is a good idea :wink: i really like the idea but do not know enough just yet, the beehuse looks good but pricey, but like the eglu may be woth the investment

In addition to the above, it may also be worth considering what types of hive are popular in your area - sounds irrelevant, but if you want to lend someone something, or borrow something yourself, then it will make life easier! Also in terms of nuc boxes if you're lucky enough to get bees via your local assoc.

The decision was made for me to some extent, as I was aboe to get some second hand Smith hives and parts very cheaply, though some say Smiths are a bit smaller than ideal.

thanks, we're just mailing the cheshire bee keepers assoc to find out how to join etc.

It's my DH that's dead keen to get going, I keep having to rein him in and suggest we do lots of research first! :lol:

If it's any help, I went for the "Bees on a Budget" package from Thornes.

https://secure.thorne.co.uk/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/millhouse/thorne/shop/springer?ACTION=SHOP&THISPAGE=page10002.html&ORDER_ID=!ORDERID!

The flat-pack cedar National hive plus the basic equipment to get you started clocks in at £175 (inc VAT) and delivery is free. If you have a few basic carpentry/assembly skills it's an easyish job to assemble. My bees seem happy enough in it. I have had to purchase a few other items which I found to be needed, but it's a great starting point.

Good luck with whatever you choose, Poet. :D

thanks for that, you're the 2nd person to recommend them. We're just waiting for a reply from the cheshire bee people and a bee keeping friend before we part with any cash, just in case we can get something cheap ;)

Very good advice on this thread. I can add a recommendation, for those whose woodworking skills aren't up to assembling Thorne's seconds (undoubtedly the cheapest cedarwood kits), for Hivemaker on www.beekeepingforum.co.uk You'll also find him on eBay as dezme. He makes ready-assembled cedar hives for not much more than you'd pay in a Thorne's sale for second-grade flatpack.

Unless you're on a very strict budget, it might be worth thinking about the value for money of the Beehaus too. I know it seems expensive, but it can hold two colonies, and with deep brood frames too. The equivalent single colony hive from Thorne's, ready made, first grade costs £324, plus £30 for the stand.

it might be worth thinking about the value for money of the Beehaus too

It might also be worthwhile thinking of making the original Dartington, in wood, for a fraction of the price, too.

Especially if you might think it is a 'two colony' hive. Which it could be but is not really.

RAB

We have bought second hand though Cheshire bee keepers. If any of the regulars are selling anything thats usually how they go about it.

James is away this weekend but in the week when you get a min give him a ring if you want to chat. 7 ish is a good time to catch him.

Have you thought about the lottie as a potential site??

It might also be worthwhile thinking of making the original Dartington, in wood, for a fraction of the price, too.

The links to the original Robin Dartington site are all busted. Have Omlet got sole use of the plans? I know robin copyrighted the design so it may now not be possible to buy the plans... So, unless you can find the plans second hand then this route has disappeared.